Setting up a linux server with Macbook Pro...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by devinloretz, Aug 14, 2008.

1. devinloretz macrumors newbie

I have a PC that recently died, HD failure. I was looking at turning the computer in a server and I was told to run it as a linux server. I was hoping to find some help as far as what I should do to make this work so I can use it for storage for my photos.

I have a big case, the dead hd was an IDE hard drive, should i get sata drives or IDE? It has 5 bays for hard drives inside and then i have 3 open 5.25" bays, and then two more that have cd and dvd drives in them. so five total 5.25"bays so I could get a lot of hard drives in there.

I have no clue as far as what to do with setting up Linux or what I should do when I do install it. Will this be compatible with my mbp?

I pretty much have a paper weight right now and need to do something with it.

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Generally speaking, a server runs services to a network, so if you mean will the services the server will be offering be compatible, then yes/no depending on how you set it up, but generally speaking yes.

I run a linux server here at home, and I use it to develop and host my website.

As far as hard drives go, if you have a sata port, then use sata, otherwise EIDE. You won't see much of a difference anyways.

Linux is a free open source operating system with over 1,000 flavors (Distributions). I suggest you use CentOS 5.2. Just google it. Download the iso file, and burn it to a dvd. Boot up the cd, and you can install from there.

http://howtoforge.com has many good linux tutorials that you can start from, and to learn more about linux, just go to linux forums and start reading.

3. devinloretz thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically I am looking at it to use as a means of storage for photos? Is this a good decision or bad? It will just be local and pretty low scale. I do have two Sata ports on my motherboard so I will get a Sata drive.

Do you feel that is the best distribution for a server? I just downloaded and burned the Ubuntu Server on a cd. Still have to get my HD though.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Hey if you don't like Ubuntu at least you'll only be out one blank CD. Ubuntu should be easy to configure.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox