setting up a mac mini for server, few questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by omni, Sep 11, 2011.

1. omni macrumors 6502

So until now I've had a 27" imac with a Drobo attached running everything. This has been the 'brain' center to serve up 3 appletv's, 2 iphones and 1 ipad. It's also where I store all my photos for iphoto, etc.

Wanna purchase a mac mini to run headless as a media center for the appletv's.

My questions come into play when it comes to itunes itself. So if have all the 3 appletv's (gen 1's) point to the mac mini...that means it needs to run itunes itself and have a library pointing to all the media.

For the 27"...i'm going to need itunes pointing everything back to the mac mini right? So anytime i add music i'm gonna have to update both library's?

So far all the iOS devices are synced up with the 27" imac...so I just maintain course with that?

Was hoping the mac mini would simplify life but all of a sudden I'm thinking it slightly more.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Yeah,you'd need to keep both the Mini and the iMac up to date if you wanted your media on both. Couple of possible solutions for that:

• Chronosync - could sync your photo and iTunes libraries between the 2 machines
    • iCloud (when it appears) - should sync your photos (photostream) and iTunes purchases between the 2 machines. You'd still eed to manually update movies you rip yourself, but that's probably a major issue - itunes Match should sort out your CD rips (assuming your country has it!).

You could pair the iOS devices to either machine - if you had home sharing turned on on both machines they could see both the iMac and mini libraries.