Setting up a Mac Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PTBarnum, Apr 13, 2009.

1. PTBarnum macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm a bit new to the whole Mac scene. I'm trying to figure out how to set up a network for my office, and I have a few questions.

1. Can I have my modem plug into a Time Capsule and use that as a router, or do I need an airport? This relates to question 2.

2. I want to have a server to store all of my data. 1TB will be plenty. Do I need to buy an XServe, or can I just buy a 1TB Time Capsule?

Basically, I want to know if I can use a Time Capsule as both a router and a server. I will have 6 computers in my office using this wireless internet. Would I be better off buying an Airport Extreme and an Xserve? What does an Xserve offer that a Time Capsule does not?

Thanks for your patience and help. I appreciate it to no end!:D:D

2. MacAgent84 macrumors member

Yes, and yes!

You can easily plug-in your modem to the Time Capsule and use it as a Wireless Router. Also, if 1TB of storage is adequate for you, then the Time Capsule is a great all-in-one solution.

Buying even one Xserve would be overkill.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the time capsule is an Airport Extreme Base Station with a 1TB drive built in.

1TB will suffice. i mean, 2 years ago 100GB would be fine. 1TB is roughly 930-950GB when formatted so unless you have a loooot of data. i think you will be A-O-K