Setting up a Mac Safe for a 7 Year old

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cadfaeltex, Nov 8, 2010.

1. cadfaeltex macrumors newbie

I've been trying to set up my old iMac for my 7 year old son. For reference sake, it is a G5 running OS 10.4.

My big problem is that he has figured out how to use the Mac so well he can get around the safeguards I put up if he wants to. The parenting the tyke side of the equation aside, I need help getting it all set up.

I tried setting up a login just for him but I couldn't get the OS to recognize a lot of the applications so he could access them. I have had bumpercar for him since he was 3 but couldn't get it to work on the separate login so that was no good. We've tried turning off Airport but we found out today he figured out how to turn it back on.

Program suggestions would be helpful as well as tips on setting up his login/my applications so he could use them and not have to use my root login.

2. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Does 10.4 already have 'Parental Control' in the systems settings?

I use it on Leopard and mostly I am very happy with it. I have created a new account for the kid, put it under parental control and I am now able to control what Applications are allowed and I could even white-list websites or restrict Internet-access times.
    I don't know how it works out when the kid grows older, but I think it is all you need for a 7-year old.

3. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Yeah I would suggest looking in system preferences to see if the parental control is in there. Could you just create another user name and make you the administer and put a password in so then he can't change anything.