setting up a MBP in factory condition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donawalt, Sep 29, 2018.

1. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

HI all, I hope you can help me...I am setting up a MBP 2013 fresh, in factory condition, to give to a friend. I went thru all the steps up to reinstall MacOS, and even though Mojave is out, it installed High Sierra on the MBP - I presume because it had not previously had Mojave installed on it. I seem to remember there is a different key sequence to get into recovery mode, other than Cmd-R, that will install the very latest OS on the laptop, but I can't remember it. If that's the easy way to install Mojave fresh so my friend can set it up, what's the key sequence? Thanks!

2. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

Did you install Mojave on it before erasing it? Reinstalling MacOS from recovery mode will install which ever version was recently installed on the device.

3. makr macrumors regular

Command (⌘)-R
    Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R
    Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R
    Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Hope this helps.
    Also check this out: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

4. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

Make sure you do at least a 3 DOE-compliant secure erase of the drive using Disk Utility. Just to make sure your data has been erased correctly from you MacBook, because is not too difficult to recover the data from your hard drive.

If you had your hard drive encrypted while you where using it, you don't have to do that, because the encryption takes care of that.

Don't forget to remove the MacBook from your iCloud.

Also, make a hardware test just to make sure the MacBook Pro is in good condition before given it to your friend.

5. donawalt thread starter macrumors 6502

donawalt

That was it @makr - Opt-Cmd-R thanks!
    And thanks @TokMok3 for the reminder to secure erase!
    Cheers folks!