Resolved Setting up a Mic in Bootcamp (Mac Pro)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goftrey, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Goftrey, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get my Earpods' microphone to work with my Mac Pro in Windows 7.

Usually with a normal Windows PC in the Recording Devices tab in the sounds menu you get 'Microphone', along with 'Line In' & the rest (as there is usually 6 colour coded audio ports on the rear of most PC's).

However the Mac Pro is different (see pic below). All the Mac Pro has (analog-wise) is one audio out & one weird combo deal for audio in.

As you can see whenever I plug the EarPods into that combo-audio in port only Line-In appears, which obviously doesn't help my cause & doesn't recognize that a microphone is plugged in.

Do I have to download another driver for the Microphone tab to come up or will I have to go out & buy a USB mic?

Attached Files:

2. Guiyon, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

Guiyon macrumors 6502a

The Mac Pro does not have a microphone in port, only line in. If you wish to use an unpowered microphone, you will need a pre-amp to use the Line In or you can purchase a USB DAC with a mic in.

3. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Thanks for the reply.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

A very belated reply.. the port /does/ support headset microphone.. but for some unknown reason apple refuse to support it in windows, only OS X. This seems to apply to all macs.