Setting up a NetWork for Vista and OSX wow its tough

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JSmoove05, Jun 12, 2007.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

I have been trying for 2 days now to set up a network btween by Vista Main PC and my Mac Book Pro i just purchashed. I can get on the internet fine from MBP but as far as file sharing and print sharing goes this is the toughest thing I ever seen. I have been reading some sites and everything and I still cant seem to figure it out. Anyone know an easy solution to file/print sharing using Vista and Mac OSX thanks.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Print sharing can be done through Bonjour, if you have installed it on the Vista machine, it should work fine. Seamlessly.

3. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tryed that no luck. Iam trying to print from MBP using a printer connected to my main PC which is VISTA. I have all the print sharing things on.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Not tried it that way round before sorry, but it "should" work. There might be a guide somewhere out there explaining what you need to do.

5. divedeepfl305 macrumors newbie

Do you have firewall on the vista machine?

Do you have a firewall on the vista machine? If you do make sure the ports are open for what you need done.

:apple: ipod 30gb
    :eek: dell e1705 running ultimate

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Tell me about it... I tried to do that with Vista recently too (just file sharing, not printer sharing) and it was a nightmare. Nowhere near as easy as XP (and that's saying something). I was never able to get it working that way I wanted. I only managed read/write access to a Shared directory connecting from my PowerBook. I couldn't get Vista to see my Mac, period.

7. hopejr macrumors 6502

Vista is using a different encryption method on SMB than XP, and one that Samba doesn't understand.