Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I am looking for some tips on how to go about doing this.

We currently have a family set up:

- Me (organizer)
- Dad
- Mom
- Sister

We all have our own credit cards being used for individual purchases.

I would like to add my niece as a new family member, but designate my sister as her parent for app approvals and parental controls, etc., as well as to use her credit card for any purchases under the child account.

This is my niece’s first phone, so she will also need a child Apple ID (she’s 10).

Is this possible? And how would I go about doing all of this?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am looking for some tips on how to go about doing this.

We currently have a family set up:

- Me (organizer)
- Dad
- Mom
- Sister

We all have our own credit cards being used for individual purchases.

I would like to add my niece as a new family member, but designate my sister as her parent for app approvals and parental controls, etc., as well as to use her credit card for any purchases under the child account.

This is my niece’s first phone, so she will also need a child Apple ID (she’s 10).

Is this possible? And how would I go about doing all of this?
Have your sister create a Child Account on any of her devices. I realize that's your sister organizing this, but I am uncertain there is a way to designate someone else as a 'parent' for control purposes while using some other adult's CC details.

The creation of the Child Account will give your niece an Apple ID.

Reactions: DDustiNN

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Family purchases go to the organizer’s credit card (I.e. yours).
That’s the thing, we don’t want family sharing for app purchases. Everyone uses their own cards for their apps. The only thing that gets charged to me is my own stuff. We’re solely looking for my sister to approve stuff for my niece, but still be part of our family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.