Setting up a new Mac with a Time Machine backup...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Jan 8, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

When you set up a brand new Mac from a Time Machine backup, I know you get your applications, files, etc copied over. But what DON'T you get? For example, are there any settings or anything else that you will have to tweak again to make your new machine look and act like your old machine?

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I did this about a month ago, and what I can remember is that very little was needed (if anything). I do remember some very minor things but nothing major.

Hopefully others can chime in.

Cosmo

3. larmonkm macrumors member

just did this a couple of months ago too, and i don't think i had to do anything. every single setting stayed the same. even auto fill in at websites. i was totally impressed. if i'd not been sold on mac already, that would have sealed the deal for me.

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Agreed. My mother just bought an iMac and a nice external HDD. I setup Time Machine and it works flawlessly.

I'm seriously considering buying a nice external HDD to setup with my MacBook Pro.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Time Machine (Migration Assistant really) copies everything over, even hacks (SIMBL, etc). It's one of the greatest things about being an OS X user.

6. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there any reason I should use the Time Machine migration assistant, over just putting my current hard drive into the new machine?

For example. I have a 2010 13" MBP. I plan on buying a 15" when the 2011's come out. I'll be selling off the 13". My thought was to just swap the harddrives. Then the 13" has a fresh install of Mac OSX, and my new 15" has everything on it the way I had it.

Can you do that without problems? Can Mac OSX make the adjustments it needs to configure whatever it needs to for the different hardware? Or can you not just do it like that?

7. CosmoPilot, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

It can be done, but I wouldn't. HDDs wear out over time...they're mechanical devices. The newer MBP you're ordering will have less wear and tear on the HDD than your 2010 model. I'd find an external hard drive and do a time machine backup. Ensure all programs are closed down (iPhoto has a known issue of not backing up new events if it isn't closed down).

Then use migration assistant to transfer your TM backup to the 15" MBP. It's like magic. Now the 15" is set up exactly like your 2010 model.

Once complete and satisfied you have everything, put the 13" install DVD into the 2010 MBP and partition the hard drive (format). Once completed, install the software and sell it off!

Cosmo