Setting up a new rMBP freezes on Filevault screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghanwani, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ghanwani, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I just picked up my new 13" rMBP and was in the process of setting it up. It is now frozen on the FileVault screen (the one where it asks if you want FileVault to be enable and to allow my iCloud account to unlock the disk).

Is is expected to sit here longer than 15-20 min? That's how long it has been so far.

I didn't request any files to be automatically transferred from Time Machine or another mac, so there should not be much data at all.

Any help? I tried googling around and looks like there are FileVault bugs, but would that affect a new machine on first boot?

Edit:

Looks like it's finally progressing. Upon getting to the desktop screen I got a message saying "FileVault encryption paused, plug in power to continue."

Do most people use FileVault? Will it affect runtime performance?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I'm using Filevault on three Mac's, two with SSD's and one with a HDD and performance seems just fine. I haven't noticed any difference, except a slight delay when logging on after a reboot or shutdown. That's because that is when the decryption takes place when entering the password.

Though, I don't use the iCloud to store my credentials, but keep it local to me.

3. ghanwani, Nov 26, 2014

ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

My machine has hung again. I was making changes in the Security & Privacy settings window. The keyboard is completely unresponsive, but the mouse works.

Is that because it's busy encrypting stuff? Surely Apple could throw up some kind of message indicating that it will make the machine non-responsive.

Right now, the keyboard is unresponsive. I can open other application windows and close them, but I can't close the the Security & Privacy window. The keyboard is unresponsive and I see the little rainbow disk/circle spinning.

Any ideas what is happening? I didn't actually make any changes to the settings, other than clicking the lock icon in the lower left corner. It does have a message saying encryption was halted earlier due to not being connected to power, but now I am connected to power and the battery is at 100%.

----------

Did you have problems with the machine going unresponsive/becoming unusable for extended periods when you bought the machine and set it up?

4. ghanwani, Nov 26, 2014

ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Called Apple support again. The rep had me force quit the application using cmd+option+esc, and then had me restart the machine.

After that no hanging, but it won't allow me to disable FileVault because it says the disk is encrypting. However, on that same screen it says encryption is halted because it's waiting to be plugged in.

I have an appointment on Monday with the Genius Bar to figure out why it's not recognizing the power.

Maybe it's encrypting even though it says encryption is paused. Perhaps it was just hung all this time while I thought it was encrypting.

So far 2 of 2 reps have strongly recommended turning off encryption unless I absolutely need it. They cite a drop in performance.

I'm a bit bummed by this whole experience and if I don't like my experience at the Genius Bar, I plan to return the machine.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

My Mac's are getting older these days. 2009 iMac, 2010 iMac and a 2012 cMBP. Their whole life has been lived unencrypted until about a month ago.

All three of them went through the Filevault encryption process with ease. There was no unresponsiveness or periods, short or extended, where they were unusable. While the encryption process was running in the background, I was able to continue to use them normally.

It sounds to me that there is something hosed up with OS X or the Mac itself in your situation. I'll be curious to hear what the Apple Store does for you.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, sounds like something is causing FV to have issues. Perhaps its too late now, but did you run Disk Utility to find any possible problems with your disk?

I was able to keep working while FV encrypted my disk. Its a very seamless process (when it works), so your issues are not typical and something is definitely wrong.

Also make sure you have a current backup of your data.

7. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is no data on the computer.

I left the computer running overnight plugged in and it still says encryption is paused and won't allow me to turn off encryption in the security settings.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like what I'm experiencing is not normal for a brand new out-of-the-box experience, so I'm just going to request an exchange for a new machine.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

That sounds like the best solution.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Run the Disk Utility to check for errors but I agree if its a new computer go and exchange it.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does sound like you have something wrong. Encryption on a new, empty rMBP should not take that long. It should take 20-30 minutes at the most.

But to address the performance issue, whoever told you that is misinformed. There is a very slight decrease in disk speeds, but you will never notice it, particularly on a machine as powerful as yours.

11. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

My rMBP did the exact same thing out of the box a couple of weeks ago. I did a search and found a command that I entered into a terminal window that deactivated FV (you can't turn it off until it finishes the encription, but it would never resume to finish). I haven't had a problem since.

12. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I confirmed with the Genius that this is not expected behavior out of the box. They were not able to process an exchange because it has 16GB RAM, so he asked me to go through 1-800-MY-APPLE.

I just did that and was told it may take up to a month for the new machine to show up. First they receive the old machine, check it out, place an order for the new one. :(

----------

So you're now choosing to run without encryption?

Regardless, I think you're less OCD than me. If my experience does not match the expected behavior then I want a new machine. Some time down the road if I want to turn it on, I would have problems. Or if I sell the machine, then I would be forced to disclose this problem and accept a lower price.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Wow, a month before a new machine arrives; that stinks. Well, I hope that things change and it could arrive sooner.

14. maflynn, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That bites.

Hopefully it will not take a month to process.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I wonder if they would ship you the new machine on your credit card then refund you for the old one once you send it back so you would not be without and to speed things up?

16. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

It may have been faster and more convenient (even for me) to place a new order now and process the existing machine as return rather than an exchange. However, I bought the machine through a friend who works at Apple and I'm trying to avoid bothering him again.

I don't think they are set up to send out an exchange at my cost...it would have to be a new order.

17. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

24 hours and multiple calls later and I still do not have a shipping label. I guess I will need to return it at the store. And I will probably not bother reordering a new one for some time. Just tired of dealing with this and need to de-stress a bit before jumping in again.

18. Jurge92 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue.

Got a new 13" Retina MacBook Pro, comes to the FileVault-stage, clicks continue, nothing happens and the Mac loading wheel just keeps spinning. It has spun for over 30 min.

What should I do?

19. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think if you wait long enough it will come out of the hang state.

I ended up returning my machine. I got a replacement and have not opened it yet...I'm in two minds whether or not to keep it.

20. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I had the same issue setting mine up the other day...

I restarted the machine and disabled the FileVault because it isn't something I'm going to use.

21. Jurge92 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies.

It suddenly dropped out of the hang-state. Once it started up, it told me to plug in the charger to continue the encryption. So I guess the battery saved me! Still, I have over 70% battery left.

I can't turn it off until it has completed the encryption, so I guess I'll just turn it on again to let it finish, then turn it off.

22. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened in my case too. Problem was that even after leaving it plugged in over night, I got the same message about encryption not able to complete because the machine wasn't plugged in.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the encryption process is stalled, reboot the computer and the process will pickup where it left off.

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I had this on 2 13" rMBPs (1 new, 1 apple refurb) out of the box. Say yet to file vault and it beachballs. Powered off and on and checked in security and privacy and encryption was paused awaiting the device being plugged in. Plugged in and nothing changed. Just kept using the machine plugged in and eventually it sorted itself.

25. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up returning the replacement machine, still shrink-wrapped. This was the most painless transaction in the the process of buying through my friend/returning the first one/trying to get it setup as an exchange.

Since Broadwell was announced, I figured I might as well wait another 2-3 months and get the latest. And I probably won't use my friend's help to buy it through Apple's EPP because it just seems like so much of a hassle should something be wrong with the machine.

Thanks to all that provided input on this.