Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I just got an Apple watch 9 and have an iPhone.
they are not yet paired or the watch set up.
I read that it’s advised to update the watch os before setting up but can you do that before pairing the watch or doing some initial setup?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I just got an Apple watch 9 and have an iPhone.
they are not yet paired or the watch set up.
I read that it’s advised to update the watch os before setting up but can you do that before pairing the watch or doing some initial setup?
Start the pairing process (an un-paired AW cannot be used for anything incl SW updates), if it wants to update, let it do it.
Add: not sure if you have an old AW, but do set it up as new, no restore from backup

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
So good so far.
do different watch faces offer different complications options?

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
‘Yes. You can change the option on each and relocate them. It is what works best and looks best to you.
Thanks, but I mean are there different options available for different faces, or is the list of available complications the same for all watch faces?
I know you can set different ones for different faces.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Thanks, but I mean are there different options available for different faces, or is the list of available complications the same for all watch faces?
I know you can set different ones for different faces.

There are just so many complications. Only options are in the single complication list . . .

Reactions: Luis Ortega

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Thanks. After checking out several faces, I figured that out.
Are complication selections something that might be increased in future watchOS versions?

‘Apple could increase, only they know. New watches and watch OS will be introduced this year around Late September.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I was reading the watch battery thread and many people complain that their watch battery degrades after a while from the advertised 18 hour time spec.
So far, I have been getting at least three days on a single charge because I turned off the always on face and the haptics and limited notifications to just the apps that I want.
i don’t like being harassed by a watch constantly ticking, chiming or vibrating at me and the always on display seems a complete waste of energy since it lights up quickly as soon as I look at it.
Right now it’s still at 50% after 2 days and 13 hours.
Should one expect the battery life to go down after a few months of use?
I bought a series 9 45mm refurb from Apple about 2 weeks ago.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I was reading the watch battery thread and many people complain that their watch battery degrades after a while from the advertised 18 hour time spec.
So far, I have been getting at least three days on a single charge because I turned off the always on face and the haptics and limited notifications to just the apps that I want.
i don’t like being harassed by a watch constantly ticking, chiming or vibrating at me and the always on display seems a complete waste of energy since it lights up quickly as soon as I look at it.
Right now it’s still at 50% after 2 days and 13 hours.
Should one expect the battery life to go down after a few months of use?
I bought a series 9 45mm refurb from Apple about 2 weeks ago.

The battery in Apple Watches are no different than the battery in your iPhone and with use they will degrade over time. I do not think you will notice after a few months but after a year for sure.

Reactions: Luis Ortega

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I was trying to set up sleep schedules and I was wondering if you can set up two separate sleep schedules for the same day?
I would like to set it up to be on for about three hours in the afternoon so I can see how it records a nap and then again to monitor overnight when I go to bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.