Setting up a remote network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ross.32, Jun 14, 2007.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

Next year I will be attending my first year of college, hopefully with the help of a new MBP. I plan on purchasing a LaCie external ethernet HDD (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10882). The college that I am attending has wirelesss internet everywhere on campus, but I am not sure if they have wired ethernet running into the dorm rooms.

What I would like to set up a VPN so I can access the contents of the HDD from anywhere on campus (I plan on keeping most of my video files there). If possible, I would like the VPN that I create to be able to access the internet without having to use ethernet, because I am not 100% sure that option will be avaible to me.

That leaves me with a few questions...1)What hardware and software will I need to be able to pull this off...2) If this does work, will the connection be fast enought to stream video or maybe even HD video...3) and unrelated, if I were to get the drive now and put the files on it using a Windows XP machine, would the drive need to be reformatted before working with OS X?

Thank you in advance for you responces
    Ross

2. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if its ethernet, you can normally go into the drive using a web browser. (e.g.10.0.1.1) and configure the device. i know that ethernet lacie drives normally have user accounts that you can create on there. this is really handy. once you have configured it, in the finder hit apple-K, (connect to server) type in the name/IP and a log in screen should come up. if done properly, you and only you will have access

DoFoT9

4. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can i give other computers remote access as well if i wanted. For instance if i made a movie, and wanted to give it to my girlfriend, could she log on to my drive and download it to her computer.

If i were to do this, could i use a airport express and have that connect to my schools wireless internet, or would i need a special router?

5. uNext macrumors 6502

I have never fiddle around with a lacie network hdd
    but i know that numerous NHDD's do allow multiple users to log in once you intially set it up.

Or you can just simply give your girlfiriend your username & password and let her log in to download the file. (Just hide the p0rn when you know you will do this :)..J/K)

I believe any router will be able to handle what your looking for.

6. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

ill just keep that on the internal :D...anyways thanks for all your help. Knowing I will be able to do this will make my switch to a Mac alot more enjoyable

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

simply make a guest user name.. password of guest or something (maybe something harder) and give them READ ONLY access... that way they can read, but not write :)

oh and to hide the pr0n, just ad a dot "." to the start of the file/folder. then download tinkertool, and turn on "show hidden and system files" and your laughing :) hahahahahaha

8. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

was tht ur imitation of the dr. evil laugh....mhaa mhaa

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh btw.. i just remembered.

i have a lacie networking thingo. 300gb ithink (320gb??) well anyway, i have tried doing the network thingo. ive set up users and all that kinda stuff (throu the hdd of course) and then when i connect to it it only brings up some random partition when i log in. i cant bring up my files which have everything saved. ill try it again now and see if i can get it. you may not have this problem as i did partition the drive into 3/4 diff partitions. so its prob my fault

10. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok please let me know how that goes. I do not plan on partitioning the drive at all.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm it only seems to be able to read the fat32 partition.. im still trying tho so dont loose hope!! hahaha

12. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I do not partition at all, I don't think that there would be a problem, would there. I am no expert I have never messed with anything like this before.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nope im about 95% sure u wont have any issues. i am just about to repartition into the original format and one partition. i shall report back asap.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

shes all good mate. just reformated into one partition( mac os x extended) and it works perfectly, i created a different user name to make it more secure and stuff. its all sweet now, you have no worries. any problems just pm me or something as i know what can go wrong hahahaha.

15. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much. You have been a big help to me over this. I really appreciate it. I have never set anylike this up, so I sure I will have some problems. If I can't figure it out I will let you know. Thanks again!

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha thats ok mate, thats what we're here for!!! good luck with it and enjoy!