Setting up a server??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kakkoiimac, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

I am trying to set up a server for one of the art teachers at my university... Im pretty much the only one on campus who is fairly familiar with Mac OS X. So the teacher wants me to re-set up a mac pro as a server. OS X server is already installed and the server is already configured. I want to reconfigure the server without reformating the disk (the teacher has a ton of crap on it that is not backed up yet) How can i do this? Also he does not remember the Directory Admin password, only the Admin password for the computer, so i dont have access to make changes in the workgroup manager...any help would be much appreicated.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

u need to get the directiry password man, otherwise ur really limited. can u reset the password by booting from the dvd, i thout there was a setting in there?? if that fails ur gonna have to backup and reinstall..

3. kakkoiimac thread starter macrumors regular

i think it will come down to the reinstall...i have been working on it for a couple of days now and i cant see anyway around it...i guess that is what you get for going a couple of years with no one maintaining the server, just dumping files.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea and u also get that when people dont kno how to use it, and dont appreciate it :mad:

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Have fun with that one. I had one client move all of their files over from a previous server, using a external HD. All the permissions settings got overwritten because he used FINDER to migrate the data.

Costly mistake.