Setting up a snow leopard server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by fkntheman, Jul 8, 2014.

1. fkntheman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having some trouble setting up a server on my mac os x snow leopard 10.6.8. I'm trying to setup the server with the 10.6 setup disk, but I'm getting a wrong version error. Is there a way to get this to work, or where can I download the 10.6.8 setup disk.

Thank you

2. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

Your hardware may not support 10.6.0

Unlike the current versions of Server it's a set of Apps that turn a client into a server.
    For 10.6 it's a new OS install.

3. fkntheman, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

fkntheman thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a MacPro 1.1 ,is there a way to get around it?

I reinstalled the OS so its 10.6 snow leopard, but I still get the error where I can't install the 10.6 server.

If I try to do a clean install(10.6 snow leopard not installed) I get an error saying the installer could not copy the necessary support files

4. tomsdongle macrumors newbie

tomsdongle

I had exactly the same issue about a year ago, I even contacted Apple and asked to buy a newer SL Server disk - they couldnt help (I had 2.5 C2D Mac mini server - final gen). The only was I could get SL running on it was to track down the original install disks :(

Essentially, the final boxed release of SL was 10.6.3, which didnt support that many machines.

5. fkntheman thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean the original install disk for SL or SL server?

6. tomsdongle macrumors newbie

tomsdongle

7. fkntheman thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I install SLS if I already have snow leopard installed, or do I need to do a fresh install for SLS