Setting up a testing server

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tomoisyourgod, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I've got an old PC I've installed Linux onto - I was wondering if there is anyway to use this to act as a Virtual Server....

It's also got 3 Hard drives, so I'd want to use this to back up data from my Mac at the end of every day

2. tschoftner macrumors member

tschoftner

Hi there!
    Don't know whether this is useful for you but you could use the "LAMP"-package. It's the equivalent for WAMP on Linux. Just type LAMP into google and you'll find a suitable package for you.
    Once installed it'll give you a full server with apachel, php and mysql. You can use your computer as a server with this package.
    Just type "localhost" 8 (after installing) into your webbrowser and then you can start.
    best wishes from Austria,
    Thomas

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

"virtual"?? Sounds like you just set up a "real" server. "Virtual means you didn't use any physical hardware. For example if you had assigned a second IP address to an ethernet interface or if you have used VMware on the Mac to install Linux.

The Backup case is triveal to setup. Simply "share" a folder on the inux side and then mount if on the Mac. Or you could use FTP. You will need to ask amore secific question to get a more detailed answer.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

He said he just did this... Install Linux on a PC. So he's done.