Setting up a vault in aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cali shot doc, Dec 13, 2011.

1. cali shot doc macrumors member

I'm trying to set up a vault to back up my aperture library to an external 1tb drive. When i try it i get this error message "the new vault could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is unsupported"

I don't get what this means???? Do i have to reformat my drive? I have 600gb of 1tb free so i'm not sure exactly whats going on

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I've been following your trouble with this and I think you need to give us detailed information so that we can help you. I just clicked the little gear thing in the Vault sidebar of Aperture3, named it and picked a destination. Clicked OK and the update started. Something is screwy on your end.

What computer and OS version are you using?
    What version of Aperture are you using?
    What brand name external drive are you trying to use?
    What connection does it use? (firewire, usb, wired or wireless)
    What else are you storing on this drive?
    What format is the drive? (Right click it and select Get Info. What does it say after Format)

I've had Aperture wink out on me using a Western Digital MyBook. It kept dropping the path to the Vault, but never had a format error. I use a Seagate Go Flex now with no issues. I think the drive in the WD is going bad. It kept failing Time Machine, too.

Dale

3. cali shot doc thread starter macrumors member

if you can maybe list the steps of creating a vault. maybe i am doing it wrong but i doubt it

4. jprob macrumors newbie

I have seen, elsewhere, that the FAT32 disk format and Aperture do not work well together. A search of "aperture vault and FAT32 disk format" will give you some articles about this. Hope this can help you out.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

^^^ I agree with this. Aperture is an Apple only product, so I doubt that they would support anything other than their own file format. Put it on its own disk.

Dale

6. cali shot doc thread starter macrumors member

I will jus reformat the hard drive. What format will aperture work with?

And by creating a vault is how u back up aperture correct?

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I think you want to re-format using disk utility as a "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" drive...

I just created backups of my aperture library using a vault..but some words of advice.

Don't use a HD that you need to access routinely for this.

If possible, create more than one backup using multiple hard drives. Redundancy is your friend.

In addition to creating a vault I also backed up by manually copying the aperture libraries onto my HD. MIght be a little over the top to do this, but in the past I have had too many issues with other backup methods failing that I figure it pays to be over the top.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

As Requested

This is a response to a PM from the OP.

To format a disk:

Open Disk Utilities (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities)
    Select the drive you want to format and click the Erase tab.
    In the Format: pop-up, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Name it and click Erase.
    When it's finished, the drive will be readable by Aperture.

Note: Aperture is currently a Mac only program. The Vault you want to create will not be readable on any PC you might have.

Format 1.png Format 2.png

To create an Aperture Vault:

In the Library tab of Aperture, click the little gear icon in the bottom of the window and select Add Vault.
    Name it and select your newly formatted drive in the Where: pop-up and click Add.
    To update it, click the Rotating icon after the Vault name.

Vault 1.png Vault 2.png

Dale

9. cali shot doc thread starter macrumors member

Finally got time to do this and after reformatting my older Maxtor 300gb external hard drive and it is currently saying copying masters so i guess it's doing the job? lol. Thanks all for the help

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Anytime. Glad to be of help. PM me if you have any other issues.

Dale

11. Poimetheus macrumors newbie

The real reason

The reason you couldn't do it is because the file structure was formatted to FAT32, which although read/write-able by Macs, will only stand for a transfer of 4gb's. NTFS also won't work because it's only readable to Macs. Therefore in order to effectively read/write with a Mac, the drive must therefore be formatted to HFS+.