Setting up a video library that can be streamed

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jlusk99, Dec 31, 2013.

1. jlusk99 macrumors member

Ok I know these issues have been discussed many times before, but I start reading the threads and they all go off in different directions and I get confused so here goes:

I have a Macbook Pro, 500GB HD that is nearing capacity and hooked up to a 2TB Time Capsule that serves as my router. I also have an Iphone 5s, 2 Apple TV 3s, and plan on picking up an Ipad Air. I have a data plan that has a large data capacity so streaming via LTE will happen a good bit.

What I want to do is store all of my Itunes library on a separate disk so that I can free up space on my Macbook and have more room--I have a ton of dvds I'd like to rip, but no more room on the HD. I also would like to be able to stream (via Wifi from home), but also via cellular when I'm in the car or on a trip, or even vacation from my Ipad, Phone, or computer.

How do I go about this, and is this even possible? From what I understand I need to get some type of external drive and hook it up to my Time Capsule. I understand this should allow me to access my library from any of my Apple devices while I'm at home on wifi, correct? But how do I also make it work when I'm not home? I tried the Air Video app and as long as my Macbook is at home and Itunes is on, I am able to stream via LTE any of the videos I've ripped, but nothing purchased directly from Itunes (kind of defeats the purpose, right?)

What is the most logical option to be able to put all my data in one spot and be able to access it either at home or on the road?

Being able to do this would allow me to buy an Ipad with a smaller storage size, since I wouldnt need to physically add the video files directly to the Ipad.

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

One word... Plex.

I tried nearly all streaming application software.. And thus far, Plex is the winner. I have family members and friends that share my collection of movies & tv shows.

Just go to the Plex forums to join the community to gather information.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Ludatyk is spot on with his recommendation. Plex is very similar to Air Video but is a much more user friendly setup and with greater functionality. It does have the same limitation in that your macbook acts as the media server so if your macbook isn't connected at home, you'll have limited options. Signing up for PlexPass allows you to stream content from the cloud (i.e. Dropbox or Box) but I've read users having mixed results. It also won't allow streaming of iTunes purchased media for the same reason you cannot do it with Air Video--Apple's DRM. You should have access to any iTunes media via iCloud though so you wouldn't need a third party solution to download/stream those videos.

4. jlusk99 thread starter macrumors member

So can I get an external drive and connect it to my Time Capsule and then store my Itunes library there? I guess this only works if you actually have the computer running iTunes at home on the network with the external drive, right? This is why people buy Mac Minis and put iTunes directly on it, right?

Icloud only seems to work for me when I am on wifi, doesn't work when I am on LTE.

I love a lot of things about Apple, but sometimes it seems like they make things so difficult. Why can i not stream stuff downloaded directly from Itunes? Makes me not want to buy that way

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You don't need to run iTunes to use Plex but you do need a computer to be the media server. But yes, you can store your library on an external HDD attached to your Time Capsule, set my sister up using exactly that method.

And the DRM Apple applies on their media is exactly why I don't buy anything from them but rather buy blu-ray discs and rip/encode my own digital copies.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well blurays are DRMed as well. Just the cracking community is much more active, with results. Otherwise you wouldn't be ripping them.

7. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Assuming you ISP allows it, you can also setup a basic web server on a computer at home. You could then have a folder that points to all your movies and you would be able to click on a movie and start streaming. I would greatly look into using even a basic password authentication though, as there would be no pitty bestowed on you if the MPAA/RIAA discovered your website (or google for that matter).

I do this at work. I have a local webserver running (I use Abyss on Windows and Apache on Linux) on work network that I dump movies into a folder and then I can watch them whenever while on the company wifi.