Setting up a Windows/Mac network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 156457, Feb 11, 2008.

1. 156457 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have an iMac 24" (10.5, alu) and a Fujitsu Siemens laptop running Windows XP.

I'd like to set it u so I can share my printer and selected folders on my Mac with the Windows PC, atm my printer is hooked upto my wired keyboard via the USB port, it's a HP deskjet.

Also, I'd love to know if I could screen share my iMac from my XP laptop and vice versa.

Oh, and also, if it helps, I'm using a Belkin Wireless Router:
    VERSION INFO
    Boot Version: 0.70.2
    Hardware: 01B
    Serial Number: J608388774
    Model Number: F5D7632-4
    Version Number: 4001uk

I'd like to do this wirelessly may I add. Thanks.

2. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if it's allowed to double post, but it's quite important and I'm eager to get it setup. Any help or even a link to a tutorial is much appreciated.

Thanks once again :)

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

turn on printer sharing in sharing preferences and install bonjour for windows and add the printer on your windows notebook.

turn on file sharing in sharing preferences and specify which folder you want to share and set the permissions. go to accounts preferences and click guest then check "allow guests to connect to shared folders". if your iMac is connected to your notebook's workgroup you should see your iMac in the entire microsoft network. connect to the Mac using the username "guest".

to screen share turn on screen sharing on the Mac and set a password. then download tightvnc on the notebook and allow it to unlock the firewall and add a password. then open tightvnc viewer and connect to your iMac's IP which is shown in network preferences and supply the password. to connect to the PC open connect to server in the Finder and type this in "vnc://PC's IP Address" and supply the password.