Setting Up a wired network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Matsta, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Matsta macrumors newbie

Hey,

So I got a new Macbook about 3 months, and I've been sitting on a couch in the same room with the wireless router. However I'm getting a bit sick of having to use a couch as my desk and I want to get internet in my room.

Our house, is reasonbly new, and I know that all the phone wires are cat5 (I'm 100% sure), so I was thinking of setting up a wired network.

Since our house is made up of concrete and steel beams, the wireless signal isn't that great in our house. We have a D-Link G604T which is a piece of junk so I will get a new router in the near future.

So currently, we have some sort of filter in the room where the router is, so we can plug in the router without having to worry about putting filters on all of our telephone lines.

However, if I were to put internet in through the same line, I'm guessing I would have to get some filters.

Hopefully what I want to do is get a phone jack to Ethernet converter and put internet directly into the wall and hopefully I will get internet in all of the phone jacks. I could probably take the cable out and put a Ethernet end straight on the cable.

I was also thinking If I get a airport extreme of some other gigabit router, I would technically get less latency and would retain my internet speeds even though I would getting internet through a long line of cables.

So hopefully this is a good explanation and I appreciate all help :)

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

Unless construction has greatly changed in the last ~3 years, your phones are not Cat-5 and only have 4 pins instead of 8.

There are systems that work through your phone line (check this website for a better rundown: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~csev/hng/book/07nowires/index.htm) but you're probably better off just getting an airport express or something of the like and having something a bit more future-proof.

On another note, I have no idea what "filters" you're talking about...