Setting up a wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dave00, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

So, I got a new MacBook yesterday (woo-hoo!) and while it had no problem at all connecting to the internet through what must be a neighbor's wi-fi system, I can't seem to connect it through my iMac G5. The iMac has 802.11g, and is connected to the internet via a cable modem. What I'd like to do is to (1) be able to surf the internet on the MacBook through my iMac's airport, and (2) be able to share files between the two machines. Of course, I'd like to do this all securely. The iMac has OS 10.3.9.

Since I can successfully join my neighbor's unsecure network from the MacBook, I suspect the problem lies in how I'm trying to share the internet from my iMac. Help!

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

What are you doing now? If you explain what you did we may be able to see the problem.

I agree with you the problem is going to be in the setup of the internet sharing on the iMac.

3. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I've tried doing:

I went to the Airport menu from the menu bar, selected "Create Network", named it and then turned on Internet Sharing. The network shows up under "Devices" on my MacBook - I can connect to it, but can't get on the internet.

Dave

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

So let me see if I got this correct.

1. iMac is connected to neighbors wifi via Airport card.
    2. iMac has internet connection sharing enabled.
    3. You are trying to connect to the internet wifi network with your Macbook by using your iMacs Airport card as the Access Point.

First off did you get your neighbors permission to use their network. Maybe they just do not know how to secure their network or that they can.

Anyways I do not think your current set up will work. As I understand how internet connection sharing works the computer (iMac) would have to bridge two separate network controllers. Therefore you would either have to connect to the iMac physically via ethernet, connect an access point to the iMacs ethernet port or add a USB 802.11g adapter to the iMac. Then you could make use of internet connection sharing.

You can also use a wireless extender to connect to the neighbors network and rebroadcast it in your house.

Wireless Extender/ Access Point
    USB Adapter

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, I'm pretty sure he said the iMac is connected to a cable modem but also has 802.11g. Meaning he's WIRED to the Internet with the iMac, but wants to use the wireless card to share out the Internet to his MacBook.

This is exactly what the Internet sharing feature was created for, but sadly I've never used it so I can't help you, especially since you've got 10.3.9 (which I've also never used). I do know you have to explicitly say "share my Internet connection using this other connection" somewhere in the system preferences.

The better, ideal solution would be to just buy a good Linksys router or something for $50, plug your iMac into it, and connect to it wirelessly with your MacBook. It will give you more options for securing your connection with WPA or WPA2 or whatever you want, and has the benefit of being a hardware firewall, an additional layer of security. That would be my recommendation. I've always used a router. It's more reliable than Internet connection sharing from what I've heard anyway.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

first off connect the imac to the modem via ethernet. if your using leopard on the imac then try this but im sure its similar in tiger. on the imac open system prefs and click sharing. click internet sharing and choose "share you internet connection from: ethernet" and then "to computers using: airport". click advanced options if you wanna encrypt the connection. then tick internet sharing to turn it on. it will probably ask you if you want "natd" to accept internet connections if you have set access for specific services and applications enabled in the firewall.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

He said right in his first post that the iMac is on 10.3.9, so it's not Leopard or Tiger. I think the sharing panel was quite different back then.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

In that case perhaps this little tutorial will help
    Scroll down to sharing through Airport

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/11/panther_internet.html

9. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's correct. I wouldn't use my neighbor's internet connection, it just showed up when I turned on Airport. I've had Airport since I got my iMac, but haven't had any reason to use it until I got an appleTV.

I've thought of this as well, although the fact that my neighbor's unsecure network shows up as "Linksys" gives me a little pause. :) Also, I did want to be able to share files (securely) between the two machines, which I don't believe you can do with a router (maybe I'm wrong?)

Dave

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

it's amazing how many people buy wireless routers and keep thier default settings, even the password. if you get a new router you can change the name to suite your needs. as well set up a wep or stronger key to keep unauthorized wifi stealers off. do you have the sharing option in the system preferences?

11. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Ok, first of all, it says "Linksys" and has no encryption because your neighbor is apparently too dumb to do anything to configure the router.

And you most certainly can share files on a network run by a router!! It makes it a lot easier, and especially when you get more than two computers you want to share between it's almost essential. A router is just a controller for a network's addressing system. It's the same as what's used for larger corporate networks (that also operate file servers), just scaled down a bit for your home. Networking ad-hoc (machine to machine, without networking infrastructure such as routers), as you're trying to do, is definitely the less-common and more problem-prone method. As I said, I've always used a router on my network, and I keep everything on a file server that can be accessed from any workstation.