Setting up a wireless network???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mclmk8d, Nov 2, 2008.

1. mclmk8d macrumors newbie

mclmk8d

First of all, please excuse my newbiness when it comes to wireless setups. Hopefully, I can use the braintrust here to simplify my life.
    I plan on buying a MBP soon and I've recently moved to an apartment with only 3 phoneline jacks, all far away from where I'd like to do my internet stuff. I have a DSL line and I currently have a 25 ft cable running from my bedroom to this space, but being the clutz I am, I sometimes trip on it, and sometimes my dog runs around and has also hit the cable.
    I'd like to do a wirelss setup so I don't h ave to run these cables all over the place. What would I need in terms of hardware/software to buy, and once I have it, how do I set it up.
    Any help is greatly appreciated...thank you in advance

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You need a wireless router. Once you get that, you connect the ethernet cable from your DSL modem to your router, and set up the router as detailed in the router's instructions.

You then connect your Mac to the wireless network you create.

So you need:-

Hardware: Wireless Router
    Software: No additional software needed

3. mclmk8d thread starter macrumors newbie

mclmk8d

WOW...THAT WAS QUICK...I LOVE THIS PLACE...thanks; they don't call you SWIFTaw for nothing.... it's simpler than I thought it would be.

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Is there a preference on which router to go with that works best cross platform with pc and mac?

I've heard linksys is good...just curious if that's the majority opinion.
    Thanks.

I just can't seem to convert my husband. :(

5. Red-red macrumors 6502

On the subject of actually setting up a wireless network, I found some links but they seem to be from earlier OS builds so i don't know whether in leopard it could be much easier but sharing a drive.

All I want to do is access a drive on the PC through my wifi connection on my MBP. The PC is connected by ethernet straight to the router. I know how to do it on a PC, ie sharing the drive but I don't know how I get my MBP to pick the drive up.

Only a quick explanation is needed.

6. mclmk8d thread starter macrumors newbie

mclmk8d

Who makes better N routers...Linksys, D-Link, Netgear or Belkin...I'm sort of wavering between D-link 655 and Linksys wrt160n...any other suggestions?

7. nnewlin macrumors newbie

wireless network

Call me newbie#2,
    I have been looking and looking on the net & the results are seriously unclear. What is the way to go when setting up a wireless network & buying a wireless router? Any loves/hates/reccs out there?:eek:

8. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Lynksis is excellent. Just set it up and forget it. Avoid Belkin and NetGear routers. They are garbage.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Years ago I used Netgear for wired networking, which was rather twitchy - I've since switched to Linksys with NO trouble whatsoever. My G router has been going strong for about 4 years now, and when I changed internet providers I didn't miss a beat. I have two Macs and two PC's using this router, as well as a printer and NAS (both hard-wired to the router).

I tried a D-Link wireless printer server and the thing was utter garbage - several features got dropped, intermittent connectivity, and excruciatingly difficult to set up. I'll never buy their stuff again.

Can't speak for Belkin routers, although I once used a Belkin keyboard with no issues :)

10. MBPDiva macrumors regular

I bought a Belkin router and after spending hours on the phone with tech support, I realized the problem was the router. So I returned it and bought a Lynksis N router. It works like a charm with my PC and MBP. No dropped connections every 5 minutes like the Belkin. Speeds are nice too. :)

11. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I just recently got at&t's internet service for DSL without a phone line

I installed the modem...and I guess....if I'm not mistaken, wireless is incorporated into the modem. (so no router was needed). :)

Works fantastic cross platform...pc and mac.
    No complaints out of me.