Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BPK1984

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2004
I have a dell tower with broadband hooked up to it. I just got an ibook and am looking to make a wireless network. First, do i have to buy a wireless network card for my dell to share the connection? 2nd any advice on a decent fairly inexpensive wireless router?

Thanks

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
BPK1984 said:
I have a dell tower with broadband hooked up to it. I just got an ibook and am looking to make a wireless network. First, do i have to buy a wireless network card for my dell to share the connection? 2nd any advice on a decent fairly inexpensive wireless router?

Thanks

I can't really recommend a router for you since I use the AEBS, but I can give you the run-down on a wireless network. No you don't need a wireless card for you tower. Just run an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on the wireless router. Yes, it will do both wireless AND wired at the same time. The wired transfer rate is faster, so if you need to transfer large files from machine to machine you may want to drop another ethernet cable from the router to your desk or wherever is convienient to plug your laptop in when you want to. If all you are doing is websurfing, don't worry about it. Wireless is plenty fast for that.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
BPK1984 said:

Thanks

I recommend the D-Link AirPlus G DI-524 if you just want cheap and reliable. However, if you ever want your wireless network to be bridged or repeated, or you just want it to do everything cool under the sun with your networking equipment, I recommend the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-2100AP. Both of these are mac compatible, and work great. Plus the antennas for these babies are way cheaper than AEBS. I use an AEBS and am constantly irritated by how restrictive and incompatible it is. These D-Links let you configure every aspect of their function. And all you need is a web browser to set them up (and perhaps a crossover cable). Good luck! :D

Soc7777777

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2004
the number one name in networking

if you want the highest quality and reliability in routers (i cant speak for the AEBS, becuase i dont know anyone with it), everyone seems to agree that linksys is the best name in wireless networking... i use a wireless g router i got for 79 dollars and i love it, it has doen everythign and more that i have wanted it to do

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Soc7777777 said:
if you want the highest quality and reliability in routers (i cant speak for the AEBS, becuase i dont know anyone with it), everyone seems to agree that linksys is the best name in wireless networking... i use a wireless g router i got for 79 dollars and i love it, it has doen everythign and more that i have wanted it to do

I agree, Linksys does make the best routers. Whatever you do, be sure not to get a 802.11b router (it's old technology). I have 802.11b, and its not very reliable so I'm thinking about upgrading to 802.11g.

Does anyone know if Intel offers a Centrino upgrade to 802.11g? Because I do not want to have an ugly wireless card coming out of my computer.

(Yes, I know this isnt a great forum to ask a question like this, but I might as well try.)

Godfather

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
actually, I just bought a linksys router, but I am not able to hook it up properly...

I have 1 pc, 1 desktop mac and a powerbook w/ airport. Every computer can access the router with ease, but I cannot let it connect to the internet. If some1 is willing to help me, plz do. I use DSL and am on a network called MXstream from planet internet (dutch, not rlly important). I have some screenshots with IP's and stuff, but I can't figure it out myself. plz contact me here to help me set up my stuff. I now use a draytek 2200E router with an Alcatel Speed touch home modem. (I want to replace the draytek 2200E router with the linksys, not sure which model).

I know it's my setup, and also, i have ISDN, so maybe it's not compatible with that, but I cannot figure it out. Help plz! :confused:

giamora

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2004
Linksys Question

I have an iBook G4 and my husband has a Sony Vaio. He has wireless internet, but currently I'm still plugged into the router. If I buy an Airport Extreme card, will it work with the Linksys router for us to network the computers and both have wireless Internet access? Sorry -- just a newbie to Macs, and I still don't quite understand the compatibility.

Thank you!

-G

krimson

macrumors 65816
Netgear WGR614 (g router) are like $40-50 after rebate from online retailers newegg.com had the lowest price i could find, and shipping is free. ($20 until 6/30/04)

it has pretty good reception, i can connect with 2 bars from the bleachers across the street from my house (approx 65 feet from my front door, my room/router is in the back of the house)

edit: fixed my booboo

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
giamora said:
I have an iBook G4 and my husband has a Sony Vaio. He has wireless internet, but currently I'm still plugged into the router. If I buy an Airport Extreme card, will it work with the Linksys router for us to network the computers and both have wireless Internet access? Sorry -- just a newbie to Macs, and I still don't quite understand the compatibility.

Thank you!

-G

Simple answer is yes - go for it!

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Godfather,

There should be some steps in hooking it up that came included. Like, unplugging (from power) the DSL modem, hooking it to the unplugged router, powering up the router plugging in the modem, hooking the router to a computer via ethernet. Something like that (these might not be the exact steps though). It's crucial that you power each one in a specific order. I couldn't get it to work otherwise.

Linksys does have a firmware upgrade that allows you to turn on a (simple) firewall on their wireless router. Something like v2.02.7 now. You can configure Linksys Routers on a Mac with Safari with http://192.168.1.1/ btw. Even upgrade the firmware with their zipped .bin file from the linsys site. Niftiness.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
oh hell yes, that is one thing about configuring Linksys wireless routers i love :)
all i need is Safari and I have no need for some screwed up Airport Admin Utility kind of crap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.