Setting Up A Wireless Print / Hard Drive Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by milesdavis, May 31, 2009.

1. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

So, I'm trying to make my laptop as mobile as possible and I'm wondering what I need to buy to accomplish this.

I would like to be able to access my external hard drive wirelessly. I currently have three external drives, and I would also like to print wirelessly [which may be a problem because I have the Epson 595 ].

What would you recommend I purchase to make this work? Do I need a second laptop to run as a 'server' or can I just get something like the AEBS or can I use my existing Linksys router somehow?

Thanks!!!

- MD

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

For me, it's connected like this:

I have a standard N router (Nothing above standard)- Connected via USB is my HP Photosmart. Connected via ethernet is a wired router acting as a 4 port ethernet switch, and connected to that is my NAS box.
    If your hard drives have ethernet capability, I'd just connect them to your router/switch, and connect your printer over USB to your router (If your router has it, if not, ethernet)

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If you wanna upgrade your router u can get yourself an Airport Extreme and a hub and connect them all up. If you wanna keep your old router then u need a computer connected to your router and be on at all times, kinda like a server.

Home servers are being reallly popular nowadays.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I used my Linksys WRT54GS as an excuse to purchase the new Sim Dual band AEBS and its a fantastic product, does everything you want and the guest network feature is great when friends come over also...

5. milesdavis thread starter macrumors regular

milesdavis

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the responses!

So, I was thinking the AEBS would do the trick. I would probably need a powered USB hub to make all the drives show, right? This whole thing can be password protected too, right?

If I wanted to use AirTunes for wireless music, I'd need to buy an express with this set-up too, right?

Thanks 'gain!

MD

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If the hard drives are self powered then you can probably get away with a USB hub that doesn't have a power brick.

U need an Express to do the airtunes thing. I have one, and control it with my iphone and works awesome. Thing is though, you need a computer running Itunes whenever you wanna use it.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It's also possible to get a printer with an ethernet port on it, instead of plugging the USB into the AE. The reason for this is that most all-in-one devices don't support scanning when plugged in via USB to the AE. I have my HP all-in-one connected via ethernet to my AE, and it allows me to scan / fax / copy / print from any computer.