Setting up advice for Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by abta1, Sep 29, 2014.

1. abta1 macrumors 6502

So I've recently bought an Airport Express in hopes of improving the wifi network around my apartment over the default modem/router that came from my provider (UPC Austria).

The idea is to connect the Express to the modem/router via ethernet and use the wifi network generated by the Express. Is this ok? Any tips or guides on the specifics for doing this? Do I need to disable the wifi of my old rounter?

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. That is the procedure. If possible set the modem to bridge mode and disable Wi-Fi.

3. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks, I'll give this a try once I get my hands on an ethernet cable.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back on how it goes.

5. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I've finally got everything set up and it seems to be working fine.

I have an ethernet cable going from my providers modem/router to the Airport Express which I am using as the primary counter now for generating a wifi network and connecting all devices to that.

I would like to disable the wifi on my providers router which I can do through the admin page. But if I do this, will I still be able to access they settings when connected via the new wifi network? I'm guessing yes since I can access the routers settings page from this new network right now but I want to check since I have no devices with an ethernet port so hooking my providers router up that way to reset would not be an option.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. Provided the IP stays the same you can safely disable Wi-Fi. It should be accessible from behind the AirPort.