Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiracer8148

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Frankfort NY
i live in a brick home and my main router is on one side of the house and the wifi is weak on the opposite side of the house. i purchased a airport extreme to setup on the other side of the house. the main router is a netgear wireless n. now my question is would it be best to run a 100 ft ethernet cat 5e cable from one router to the other or let the airport extreme pickup the wifi and extend it? and another quesiton is will it be all one network or 2 different ssids? only asking because i use apple tv and im not sure how it would react if my macbook pro was connected to the airport extreme where my movies are share and the apple tv was connected to the netgear, i know they have to be on same network. thanks for anyone who has ideas

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
i live in a brick home and my main router is on one side of the house and the wifi is weak on the opposite side of the house. i purchased a airport extreme to setup on the other side of the house. the main router is a netgear wireless n. now my question is would it be best to run a 100 ft ethernet cat 5e cable from one router to the other or let the airport extreme pickup the wifi and extend it? and another quesiton is will it be all one network or 2 different ssids? only asking because i use apple tv and im not sure how it would react if my macbook pro was connected to the airport extreme where my movies are share and the apple tv was connected to the netgear, i know they have to be on same network. thanks for anyone who has ideas

Yes you can set the Airport Express to be a repeater for your wireless network. It is in the advanced settings in airport utility.

Cheers

skiracer8148

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Frankfort NY
im getting the error cannot extend wireless network, im guessing this is because my main router is a netgear. this sucks because i dont want 2 different ssids in my home and btw im using a netgear wnr834bv2 as the main router and using a airport extreme as a secondary connected to the netgear via ethernet. im trying to create one big network with on ssid (network name)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.