Setting up Airport Extreme as range extender!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MBPdaniel, Mar 29, 2009.

1. MBPdaniel macrumors newbie

On the Bestbuy website they market the airport extreme as having the capability to become a range extender and the guy in the store said it would work with a linksys. The Linksys is a WRT150N. I have the airport extreme set-up in my room and it has a solid green light. When I go into the set-up for it I click join network and It sees the linksys and I select it and it says everything is working fine but it stays on the green light and the signal isn't being extended. Help?!

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

My guess is that you are doing all of this through Airport Utility? Please excuse me for my stupid question but when you have finished selecting all the options you want did you click "update"? :eek:

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

When it comes to extending a wireless network, I think the Airports only work with other Airports.

If the WRT150N supports a feature called WDS (which is what the Airports use to extend networks), you might be able to set it up, but I wouldn't imagine it would be the easiest thing in the world.

Airports can join WiFi networks of other manufacturers as clients (which it sounds like you've done), but that doesn't do anything for range extending. :(