Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airomero83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Hi - So decided to pull trigger on new model for Airport Extreme. Any tips/suggestions on how install and set it up for the 1st time?

Also, I'm reviewing the setup screens online and I'm confused on Network tab - "Router Mode" section, what selection should I use? Off - Bridge Mode, DCHP Only, or DCHP and NAT? My setup includes cable connection straight to a cable modem and from there will be the AEBS, with wifi to wireless devices and hard-wiring my iMac.

Thanks for all the help and insight for this newbie! :p

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi - So decided to pull trigger on new model for Airport Extreme. Any tips/suggestions on how install and set it up for the 1st time?

Also, I'm reviewing the setup screens online and I'm confused on Network tab - "Router Mode" section, what selection should I use? Off - Bridge Mode, DCHP Only, or DCHP and NAT? My setup includes cable connection straight to a cable modem and from there will be the AEBS, with wifi to wireless devices and hard-wiring my iMac.

Thanks for all the help and insight for this newbie! :p

If it is a basic simple modem then you will want it on DHCP and NAT mode.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
If it is a basic simple modem then you will want it on DHCP and NAT mode.

Unless you can and want to use your cable modem as your wifi router, then set the AEBS up in bridge mode. Of course I don't know that I would have purchased a new AEBS to use in bridge mode...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Unless you can and want to use your cable modem as your wifi router, then set the AEBS up in bridge mode. Of course I don't know that I would have purchased a new AEBS to use in bridge mode...
Sorry. I must have been unclear. I meant that if you had a regular simple modem you should use DHCP and NAT mode on the AirPort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.