Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serpic369

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
is there a way this can be done? The only way I am currently able to have internet connection using my airport extreme is on bridge mode. I have a ethernet cable from the verizon box outside connected to the WAN port on the fios router, and have a separate ethernet cable connected from my airport extreme's WAN port to the LAN port on the fios router.

However when set on bridge mode, the signal strength from the living room where both routers are at is poor and often disconnects when I am in my room on the opposite of side of the house. I pretty much have the same poor signal strength in my room when using my airport extreme wifi as i did when i would just use my fios rioters wifi.

A coworker told me he was able to successfully set up his own router in a non bridge mode and do away completely with the fios router by doing so:

- Change connection from coax to ethernet
- Then call verizon and have them break the DCHP lease
- Connect the ethernet cable from the verizon box outside to my preferred routers WAN port.

I did all that but have no internet connection when I try plugging the ethernet cable from the verizon box directly to the airport extreme's WAN port. I set the settings on the airport extreme to static under connection settings, and router mode to DHCP and NAT under networks and still have no internet connection when i try doing this.

I also already used the instructions on this page:
http://www.podfeet.com/blog/tutoria...r-to-give-network-control-to-airport-extreme/

can anyone please help me on how to have my network running from the airport extreme independently from the fios router

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
is there a way this can be done? The only way I am currently able to have internet connection using my airport extreme is on bridge mode. I have a ethernet cable from the verizon box outside connected to the WAN port on the fios router, and have a separate ethernet cable connected from my airport extreme's WAN port to the LAN port on the fios router.

However when set on bridge mode, the signal strength from the living room where both routers are at is poor and often disconnects when I am in my room on the opposite of side of the house. I pretty much have the same poor signal strength in my room when using my airport extreme wifi as i did when i would just use my fios rioters wifi.

A coworker told me he was able to successfully set up his own router in a non bridge mode and do away completely with the fios router by doing so:

- Change connection from coax to ethernet
- Then call verizon and have them break the DCHP lease
- Connect the ethernet cable from the verizon box outside to my preferred routers WAN port.

I did all that but have no internet connection when I try plugging the ethernet cable from the verizon box directly to the airport extreme's WAN port. I set the settings on the airport extreme to static under connection settings, and router mode to DHCP and NAT under networks and still have no internet connection when i try doing this.

I also already used the instructions on this page:
http://www.podfeet.com/blog/tutoria...r-to-give-network-control-to-airport-extreme/

can anyone please help me on how to have my network running from the airport extreme independently from the fios router

Whenever I deal with some of Verizon's equipment I leave it alone. I simply set the Extreme as a static address outside of the DHCP range of the FIOS router and add it to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone). I then setup DHCP and NAT on the AirPort.

serpic369

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
How do i do that exactly step by step? Im really inexperienced with all this

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
How do i do that exactly step by step? Im really inexperienced with all this

You are going to have to undo the changes done by Verizon then add the Extreme to the DHCP reservations. Inside of the router control panel, there should be a category called DMZ. You should be able to add the MAC address or IP address of the Extreme there. This bypasses the NAT and firewall of the Verizon router for the Extreme to do those duties.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.