Setting up an eCommerce

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Aug 31, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Ok, so I am doing my FIRST official web site for someone, and they requested an ecommerce site. So, I have no idea where to start at one. I was preferably wanting it to be integrated into the websites design so I don't have to redesign it just for the ecommerce. Anyone know of any software that is easily adaptable to a website. Thanks!

Also, would it just be easier to build my own. With PHP and MSQL of course.
    Tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

:eek:

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Well, I can only say that when I was coding for my previous employer, we used the method that was provided by our Bank.

So, in essence, they gave us an API of their own system, and several examples of how to implement it (sending Batch codes, Admin numbers, etc etc)

This method was known as VPC (Virtual Payment Client) as opposed to 2 Party Client. I believe (memory is a bit hazy) that the latter basically redirected you to your banks own page, and they handled the payment process, but probably a bit disconcerting for your customer if they have to enter payment on a totally different site.

We used the VPC, so that we implemented the payment ourselves, and then sent off the XML envelope to the bank, who responded when they processed the request. Usually, you will be provided with an Admin account on the Banks site (Merchant Admin) where you can see all your processed requests (search by credit card numbers, payment dates, amounts etc etc)

Obviously, you have to be careful with security and such, but I preffered the VPC, as it gave you more customized control, and did not require the customer to leave your website. Just make sure you have a HTTPS certificate!

The bank gave us a test environment to work on, and a few dummy credit card numbers, as they required over 40 test bookings before allowing us to go live. This included if a wrong expiry date was entered, wrong name on the credit card, was there a 3 digit security number on the back of the card? Visa or Mastercard? Correct amount was charged etc etc.

Again, this is only my own personel experience, not sure if there are other users on here that have had anything different?