setting up an internet cafe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by h2009, May 19, 2008.

1. h2009 macrumors member

Hi there,

A friend of mine was asking a question on how he can stop an attacked (which is currently happening to his shop) from damaging his business. He runs an amateur internet cafe which needs a complete rework.

The first though that came to mind was to setup a system which works much like a school network or computers which bootup from a server.

I.e. once a user is logged on and there time expires, the computer 'restores' a backup from the server, thus wiping any programs, webpages, cache which were on there.

Can anyone point me to anything that can i suggest to him to read on?

Also any particular software which can created timer/logon system - i.e. to allow users to see how long they have left of there sesson - and extend it if need be.

Basically i think it would be best to rebuild his system from ground up, so any information would be great.

thank you

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

OS X Server (Leopard):

See this document regard to booting computers from a network volume and restoring them to an standard configuration : http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/client.html.

Leopards built in Parental Controls could be used to time a users access and stipulate which applications they can use. Perhaps this can be could be configured centrally using Automator. See this : http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/parentalcontrols.html

Not sure what else to suggest. Its a difficult one.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So this is a Mac internet Cafe?

Either way i would start off with a m0n0wall to run the captive portal login. Then a RADIUS server to manage who gets login privileges etc.

EDIT:

So if its a all macs. Just use a very locked down guest account as that data is deleted when they log out. then setup a captive portal system off m0n0wall(or something similar)

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

is this an all mac cafe? i would think that would be difficult as a huge percent of the people that walk in are probably used to PC and have no idea or no interest in using a mac. I mean its certainly not difficult but you know alot of people dont want to even bother, or have absolutely no sense of technology.

5. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

Use a limited account, if it's on a Mac. That way, you get complete control over the account.

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I will 2nd that on the sole reason that The Mac Cast recommended it, i listen to that podcast and he always has good tips. He recommended Deep freeze a few times and i think you should give it a try.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I can't comment about Deep Freeze on the Mac, but the libraries in my city run DF on the public access PC's. It's great, the public think they are doing things until a reboot.