Setting up an internet connection. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mishiru, Oct 8, 2008.

1. mishiru macrumors newbie

First off, I'm a total newbie to MAC to be honest. I got one for college because I thought it would be handy, and the entire school is loaded with MAC's anyways, so why not?

Er...but thats not the point. For some reason I can't get connected to the internet from home.

The farthest I've gotten was when I was trying to set up an Airport connection with my Linksys router. I get as far as ISP on that weird checklist (network diagnostics) then the other two (Internet and Server) fail. I can't seem to figure out whats wrong.

Is there something I'm missing? The only thing that I can think of that might be interferring would be the fact that my ISP requires a login name and password but thats about it...but...I've got no clue where to enter that stuff in...

I really don't get all this computer mumbo-jumbo and I'm looking for a quick and easy soultion if possible considering I'm not exactly tech-savy. Any kind of help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

P.s. My laptop runs MAC OS X 10.5.2 with a built-in Airport Extreme wireless networking (apparently)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The Linksys router should do all the connection stuff.
    You can access it by connecting to it via LAN or WLAN (LAN will be better, as you only need the password for the router and not the secure WLAN itself).
    Type 192.168.0.1 (or another address stated in the router's manual) into your browser's address bar, to see if all the settings in the PPPOE section are alright. PPPOE is responsible for dialing to your ISP.

Then, when the router is connected to your ISP, you can/should access the world wide web vial WLAN/Airport, if it is setup right on both sides.

And read the f... manual, it can give you quite some hints.

And ' aren't used for plurals, they show that something's missing or belonging to.