Setting up an iPod Touch when you already have an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by superflush, Feb 21, 2010.

1. superflush macrumors 6502a

Quick Question. If you are setting up an new iPod Touch or iPhone, and you already have an iPhone, do you set it up as a restore of your current iPhone?
    I think this is the only way to keep your app info & settings, etc.
    I have had an Original iPhone for a while, but I have an iPod Touch that I'm going to set up soon. Is setting the iPod Touch up as a restore of the iPhone the way to go?

2. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

It's up to you, amigo. For me I would say no, because why would you want your iPod to be just like your phone sans the phone?

3. superflush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, what I really want is for the iPod Touch to have all the app data that my iPhone has. (ie, logins already set, locally stored note apps to have their notes, weather & stock apps to have their data set).
    Unless there is another way of doing this?
    Or, unless there is a foreseeable problem with doing a restore of the iPhone on the new iPod Touch?

4. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

Ah, that is a good question. I know when I bought my 3GS I was able to transfer all that data from my 3G, even down to my game scores. To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I'm getting a 64 GB Touch in a few days, so i'll give it a shot and tell you how it goes.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Set it up as another device. U will need to program your apps settings and what not.

6. superflush thread starter macrumors 6502a

are you saying I can't do it as a restore?

7. 92jlee macrumors 6502

you can do it as a restore but it wont save data in the apps - when my 3gs was replaced I lost all save files in games had to re enter log ins for skype and IM, weather, etc.

Its disappointing, why cant apple make it copy save games over..

8. superflush thread starter macrumors 6502a

It should at least save stuff like the weather and stocks settings.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Sorry for the mild thread hijack, but is it supposed to do this?

I thought I remembered that last year when I first got an iPhone I played this one game for crazy, then didn't touch it for months. I took it off my phone and then later put it back on, game state intact.

But I moved abroad a while back and took this local bus times app off my phone, it was filled with bookmarked stops. Moved back home, added the app back and the data's gone (annoying)

So, is it meant to save app data in iTunes? I thought it was :( Seems a bit pointless otherwise really.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That doesn't sound right -- restore from backup should copy over save games, login info, etc.

@OP, I've restored backups from iPhones to touch and vice versa a lot of times with no problems. There's no technical reason why you shouldn't do it, it just depends on how you want to set up your new device.

11. superflush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't play any games, so I can't comment on that.
    But I've upgraded my phone a number of times and I have jailbroken it (which requires a backup and restore), and it definitely backups and restores some info. I know from experience with some family members devices that Wi-Fi passwords only can be restored if you restore to the same exact device.
    Here is the list of stuff that can be restored (listed under About Syncing and Backups, "iTunes will back up the following information:": http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Also, I should be doing this sometime later today, so I'll report back with my results.

12. superflush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've finally set up an iPod Touch.
    I set it up as a restore from backup of my iPhone, and it synced the same music and apps. However, the personal settings, app data, and app order did not carryover.
    I wonder if people are setting their iPads up as a restore from backup of their iPhone.