setting up an "other" email account and can't send emails

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RobbySkateboard, Dec 21, 2010.

1. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

ok, so I have a website and an email on this site and I am very bad about checking it because I'm so used to checking my emails on my iphone 4 and never on the actual computer. I want to set up my email on my phone so I can check it more often and easier but am having some trouble so if anyone can help I'd be very grateful. If it's any help I'm using horde to check my emails on the desktop.

I have this right now:
    IMAP
    Name: Robby Williams
    Address: robby@bigfootskateboards.com
    Description: Bigfoot Skateboards

Incoming mail server: mail.bigfootskateboards.com
    Username: robby@bigfootskateboards.com
    password: my password

Outgoing mail server (this is what I'm not sure about):
    smtp.bigfootskateboards.com

and when I hit to verify it, it says "cannot connect using SSL -Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?" and I hit yes. Then it says "The SMTP server 'smtp.bigfootskateboards.com' is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the 'outgoing mail server' field." and I hit ok.

I can get messages but cannot send them, but I also cannot delete them, it says "unable to move message -this message could not be moved to the mailbox trash". (although it does delete them from the iphone inbox but it would be annoying to have to hit okay on that every time I delete a message.

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Mail does not always work like that. Most webmail clients for webhosts have some sort of tutorial to show you how to forward mail to third party clients like the iPhone. What webhost do you use?

I for one, use GoDaddy and my site URL is http://legacycreativestudio.com

You would think that my email setting would be pop3.legacycreativestudio.com but it's not. GoDaddy uses secureserver for their mailer and my settings are as follows:

Incoming: Hostname: pop3.secureserver.net
    Username: mike@legacycreativestudio.com
    Password: my password

Outgoing: smtpout.secureserver.net

You're going to have to find out what your specific mail client uses as it's hostnames for it's incoming and outgoing servers.

EDIT: You might also want to try POP3. I remember using HORDE when i hosted through HostGator, and it used POP3 not IMAP.

3. RobbySkateboard thread starter macrumors regular

I got my site from justhost.com (ps, thanks for the quick response, I love this site! haha)

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Like I said, you'll wanna check the setting on your actual webmailer. There should be a section somewhere to view the details of your account. I think i remember there being an option in HORDE for that.