Setting up and accessing Mac from other home....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cw2011, Apr 21, 2011.

1. cw2011 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Firstly, Apologies if this is a repost!

Basically, I'm at uni and the ports are blocked for torrent downloading in my accommodation. I've tried getting around it but no luck, unfortunately.

At my family home I have fairly fast broadband and I was wondering if there was any way of setting a machine at home (ideally a Mac Mini..) that I can access from uni and allow to do the downloads at home and then move everything across to my hard drive at Uni. (either directly or through my iDisk which seems to reach fairly fast download speeds even at uni)

So obviously I need to able to control the whole screen of the machine at home so I can use the GUI of the torrent software.

I'm pretty Mac literate and can set most things up with some research, would just like some advice on how to do this and just a general point in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

2. cw2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If you (or anyone else reading) wants another quick and easy alternative, I use TeamViewer 6, which I found was easier to setup than VNC (for me anyway). You have a main profile and once logged in (and logged in with the other computers), you can choose between the list of compatible comps and control them. After using, you can simply close the program and it will close on your end, however it will only end the connection on the other, allowing you to log back in whenever you want.

I do this constantly now while at college because (like you) I couldn't download torrent files. After downloading the files on the computer at home, I used DropBox (which is an amazing application) to sync the files to all of my computers under that account. This allows me to download whatever files I want and either move them to my Mac or my netbook here at the Uni.