Setting up Apple Mail.app with Outlook.com

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PatientWaiter, Apr 8, 2014.

1. PatientWaiter, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

PatientWaiter macrumors newbie

Hi Friends,

I'm running into a little problem. I have set up a personal domain and linked with outlook.com. (Despite my misgivings about Micro$oft, they seem to handle this the best - and at no charge.)

My goal is:
    1) Send and receive mail as 'address@mydomain.com' (actual address obfuscated)
    2) Sync mail between Macbook, iPhone, and online site at outlook.com

Outlook.com works beautifully when setup with my iDevice as a mail exchange server. Push e-mails, instant delete/read/mark unread/flag syncs between online and iDevice without any trouble - only required the name of my server, a username, and password.

Here's the predicament. On my Macbook, the Apple Mail.app does not support the EAS protocol for outlook.com. No one seems to know why. I currently have the account setup as an IMAP account. I can currently send/receive messages as my specified address@mydomain.com -- however, when I delete a message from Mail.app, it doesn't delete the message(s) from the server. When I read a message on my Mac, the message shows 'as read' on the web client at outlook.com - so no problems there. Deleting seems to be the only concern. We get this fixed and I'm in business.

Another troublesome aspect of using outlook.com, one gets articles on how to fix and remedy problems using the client Microsoft Outlook versus the mail service outlook.com. I've been a little frustrated, so I'm reaching out here!

(If I could easily set up iCloud for my domain, I would. But that doesn't seem to be an easy task either, and I'm looking to replace a longtime google account. Without Outlook.com, I can import all of my gmail.)

Are there workarounds or are my settings screwy? Has anyone else run into these issues?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you look into other mail apps such as postbox or even MS' outlook for the mac?

If you're moving off of google, and using outlook.com it would seem a natural fit for the outlook app.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think you're experiencing what others have seen with Mail and many email providers: Mail is sometimes slow to update the server and get updates from the server.

I've seen the behavior with Outlook.com that you're having and in my experience the update happens eventually.

Also, using the $2 app "Airmail" seems to update the server immediately. I'm not a big fan of the look of Airmail, though.

4. PatientWaiter thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm being too picky, but I'd really like to use the Mail.app. I just wish everything worked the way it was supposed to... but that's my fantasy world. I've been forced to use Gmail's app for iPhone because of my domain, and it just isn't the same and it doesn't send my as my domain half the time anyway. I'm a little tired of having to make all these concessions just so I can have an e-mail account that works!

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Like I said...the Mail app updates the outlook.com server eventually. It doesn't prevent one from using the app.