Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

periahdark

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
So, I'm getting a new iPhone 3g S soon. I want a fresh start so it can be as fast as possible. All my contacts, calendars, and mail accounts are synced with my mac so I can always resync. Same with music and photos. Now my qustion is if my apps data will also resync. I know if I restore from back up it will but not sure if resyncing them as a new phone will. Any help?

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
I backed up my 3G before I sold it last week.
I hooked up my G3S yesterday and restored from my backup. All apps that I had entered information in, such as Accountr and Gas Cubby included all my previous entries. Hope this helps.

periahdark

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I backed up my 3G before I sold it last week.
I hooked up my G3S yesterday and restored from my backup. All apps that I had entered information in, such as Accountr and Gas Cubby included all my previous entries. Hope this helps.

Yes, i know that restoring from a backup saves app data, but I'm asking if choosing the option to set up as a new phone, and then resyncing apps manually saves the app data.

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Yes, i know that restoring from a backup saves app date, but I'm asking if choosing the option to set up as a new phone, and then resyncing apps manually saves the app data.
You sort of answered your own question there!
All your apps' data is saved in the backup, so if you set up as new and do not restore from backup, then there is no app data restored. Re-syncing apps will only install them.

periahdark

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
You sort of answered your own question there!
All your apps' data is saved in the backup, so if you set up as new and do not restore from backup, then there is no app data restored. Re-syncing apps will only install them.

Haha, thanks, I guess I'll just restore from backup, I've been reading and restoring from backup doesnt seem to lower performance (I dont know why I thought it might in the first place, I guess I was just paranoid and wanted my 3G S to be as fast as possible.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.