Setting up as new phone questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsnmao, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jsnmao macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade to 4.0 and it was recommended by users here that I set the phone as a new phone.

I had a few questions about this.

1) when you set it up as a new phone will it save your contacts? or do you have to manually enter them later.
    2) does it save your sms? this is very important to me.

If it doesn't, how do i go about saving my contacts and sms and sync those into a new phone setup.

Thanks!

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

No to both.

Although if you have your contacts on your computer with Address Book or the like, you can sync them with the new install. But a clean install does not save SMS settings/data.

3. jsnmao thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupid question but I'm kinda noob at this, can i save contacts to my computer by going to contacts tab under iphone when its plugged in and hit sync with window's contacts?

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I was never familiar with syncing contacts back with my original iPhone when I was a Windows user...but I believe it should be the same as syncing with Address book on OSX.

When it goes to sync contacts, it will give you the option of replacing them on the phone, on the computer, or merging the two. Make sure you don't go to Advanced Settings in iTunes when the iPhone is connected and check "Replace Information on this iPhone: Contacts" as this will erase the contacts from your phone and replace it with what you have on Windows. (If you have nothing on Windows, it wipes it all out)

And I know of no way to save SMS info with a clean install.