Setting up as new?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bthompson, Sep 21, 2017.

1. bthompson macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I am getting my S3 tomorrw and I am so excited. A week without the watch has been tough. I have a back up of my S2, but I am wondering if it would be better to set new watch up as new? I was running the Os4 developer beta all summer on my S2. I can pretty quickly set up everything on the watch, its not much, just Apple Pay and some music to sync. I am mostly concerned about moving activity data. That is synced with the phone right? Am I missing something not restoring it from a back up?

2. markhort macrumors 65816

markhort

I had some issues with my S0 tracking exercise correctly. Loads of trouble shooting was done. I even borrowed a family members watch for a couple of days, the same issue happened on that one as well.

So I'm setting up from new. Activity data is stored in Apple Watch backup. So you'll lose that. I'm not all that bothered.

3. bthompson thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. All of my activity data and achievements are still in the activity app on my iPhone. So I guess if I just pair the new watch it will still be there? I can't imagine it would go away. I think I will set it up as new. I will need to recalibrate steps with an outdoor run/walk but that's all I think would need to be done.

4. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I'm curious about this too. I want to keep all my health and activity data, so should I unpair my current watch (S0) before I pair my new S3? And then when I pair the new watch, I restore from a backup? What if I don't unpair the old watch and set the new watch up as new, will all my data still remain on the iPhone? If that is the case, what was the benefit of making a backup? I'm sure this is much simpler than I'm imagining it to be, so thanks for any insight.

5. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

Funnily enough I was just chatting with Apple support about this as I'm getting an iPhone 8+ tomorrow and want to keep my activity data. Here's how it works...

If you unpair your watch from your iPhone it creates a backup onto the iPhone before it unpaired. Then, when you pair your new watch with the iPhone it syncs that back across to it.

If you're getting a new iPhone and want to keep your activity data you need to:
    1) Unpair your watch to create the backup
    2) Back up your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes
    3) Restore your new iPhone from that backup
    4) Pair your watch to your new iPhone