Setting up CLP-315W (three ways)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tallest Skil, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So I got a Samsung CLP-315W for my printing needs. I can't get the darn thing to work.

Here's what I want in order of desirability:

Setting it up ad-hoc wirelessly. I don't want to connect it to a router because the only routers that will be available to me are open (for the rest of whatever dorm I'm in), and I'd like to make a little money off of this thing by only allowing people print when I want them to. :D

Setting it up with a direct Ethernet connection: mac pro to printer. Simple enough, it just says "Unable to connect to host (yada yada yada).local. for printer" and it never connects when it retries.

Setting it up with a direct USB connection: Mac Pro to printer. I don't really want to use up a USB for this, but I did try, and it still doesn't work.

All current testing is being done with my MacBook Pro. Any ideas?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I think you can best do what you want by having an ethernet connection to the printer. Then you you can turn sharing On/Off and control who prints. Alternately, if the built-in web page on the printer allows it, you can turn On/Off the wireless receiver to allow others to print.

I guess you've already installed the print driver?
    Next, manually set up the ethernet connection (if wireless is your internet connection, you Must setup ethernet manually). Use a local subnet IP address, like 192.168.0.5. It would also be a good idea to set up the printer in the same subnet, like IP address 192.168.0.6. Do that via the printer's admin web page.

Now add the printer in Print & Fax. "Most" non-postscript proprietary drivers use a protocol that's found by clicking More Printers after "+." Might be called Samsung TCP/IP or something like that. If that doesn't exist, then you have a driver issue to get past.

I haven't given you a step by step, because I don't have that printer. If you have questions, come back.

3. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thanks for the reply, but I'd really really...

really... like to get the ad-hocingness working. I was able to print a Network Configuration Report (what they call it) and it says that it's already in ad-hoc mode and has found my AirPort network.

It only matters because the extent of the setup manual provided (and the one downloadable from the Samsung website) is "Open System Preferences, Click Network, Find IP address, subnet mask and gateway of computer" and then "Open System Preferences, Click Security, Click the Firewall menu, Select 'Allow all incoming connections'".

Aaand that's it. The rest of the instructions provided only pertain to Windows users because the utility to actually set the printer up on both a wired and wireless network is an exe.

So, then. I probably have all the information I need from this report my printer printed, so can you walk me through an ad-hoc wireless setup (and then if that doesn't work, an Ethernet one)?

What I don't understand is why it doesn't just work right off when I use USB...

Thanks again.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Well, I haven't done this, so I hope others will chime in as required.
    It isn't possible to have internet access and ad hoc printer access on the "same" network interface. But here's where I think it's possible...
    Go to Network prefs > Show Network Port Configs. single click on Airport to highlight and then click Duplicate. You should now have two Airports. On the new one, you have to do the manual setup like I explained for ethernet above. The internet one can get its IP address by DHCP, but the second one Must have a manual IP address.

Does this work so far?

5. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hard to tell, as there are only two states of existence for a printer: able to print and unable to print. :D

Okay, I did get the AirPort duplicated and I was able to put in the IP and Subnet mask that the printer's configuration report gave me (it was just the default stuff. I don't know if it's even possible for me to change it since I'm on a Mac).

I put it in under IPv4. Should it be under IPv6 instead/also?

At this point, I guess the only thing is figuring out how to add it to the Print & Fax list correctly. I add from "Advanced", correct? I chose "Internet Printing Protocol (http)" and then put in the Printer URL that was on the configuration report. I chose my model's driver from the list, but this is where my knowledge falls off.

6. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry for the double post. Anyone have any further info on how to get this working?

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

What you ask for is pretty tricky. This particular printer just isn't quite that sophisticated.

To setup the basics on the printer, I had to use the same tool that the Windows guys are using, it is written in Java, and you can run it after you install the drivers and tools from the CD.

After that you can use the printer's web browser to get a bit more information and configure it further. The downside is that I can't see how to configure it for /both/ wireless and wired. You get one or the other.

If you want it to be a sort of 'print when I let you' setup, then you will need to do it wirelessly via ad hoc. You will have to connect to the printer's wireless connection, and run the tool I talked about that is on the driver/tools CD. That will at least get you up and running far enough to further setup the printer.

8. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Cool. Okay, now...

1. How do I open the Java utility?
    2. How do I access the web browser? It'll be an address I just put into the bar as an IP, right? I had to deal with a LinkSys router recently whose utility was accessed with http://xxx.xxx.x.x. Will this be basically the same thing?

9. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Right... Smart Panel doesn't work, I can't open the Java applet because it doesn't exist, and I can't access it over the network because the IP doesn't work.

I'm about to just take it back and get an HP inkjet, for crying out loud. At least I know those work with even fricking USB.

10. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Darn. Triple post. Ah, well...

Okay, I got it set up printing wirelessly. I BELIEVE that it's ad-hoc and not connected to my AirPort network. The only problem is, I have to switch from my Internet connection (connecting to my router) to be able to print, and so can't print and have the Internet at the same time.

Is there a way around this so that I can be connected to my router and my printer (via ad-hoc and not a router connection) so that I can print and have the Internet at the same time?

11. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Nope. Just like a TV tuner, a wireless transceiver in a wireless network card can only be tuned to one frequency at a time.

12. Terry W macrumors member

Coming to this thread late and have a similar problem. I can't access the SyncThru Web Service because when I put the IP address into my browser I get an error (can't open the page because the server can't be found). I'm an absolute networking dunce for the record.

I just want the thing to connect to my airport network and work normally. I printed the Network Configuration Report and it definitely recognizes my network (ad-hoc mode).

Tried adding the printer in the SetIP aplet and it says it can't connect and to reconfirm the MAC address, which I did and is correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

just plug the usb connection into a usb port on the airport express, extreme or time capsule.

Now you have both. It works.

14. Euph macrumors newbie

15. urbanlung macrumors regular

urbanlung

It's kinda as wireless as any other not wireless printer then

I am giving up with this POS, to need to be connected by a bit of wire to the router makes the wireless facility irrelevant. Having to switch between the printer and the internet is idiotic. The manual is appalling. All I have printed is the demo page. It is going back to the shop tomorrow. What a waste of an day going to chavy Lakeside to get the thing and then try and make it work. Phhhhhhhhudge!