Setting up dual displays in Mac OS X Panther?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macJC50640, Aug 19, 2009.

1. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Hello there,
    I have an old iMac G3 in my room running Mac OS 10.3 Panther. Just recently, I hooked up a VGA CRT monitor in an attempt to run dual displays. However, it seems that all the machine or OS is capable of is running in mirrored mode...could someone please help me with this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
    -Justin

2. macJC50640 thread starter macrumors regular

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

have you tried going into display preferences under system preferences. there should be a button in there for mirrored displays. ;-)
    Im not too sure, cos im on leopard, but its vagely similar enough right??
    :p

PTP

4. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

The iMac G3 can only mirror the display. I used screen spanning doctor on my iBook G4 which also could only officially mirror and that enabled dual displays but the CRT iMacs aren't supported.

5. mkaake macrumors 65816

In many older macs, the ability to span vs. mirror was disabled, so there was no way of easily activating it from system preferences (even as recent as the G5 iMac, if memory serves). To enable mirror spanning, search for screen spanning doctor.

<looks online>

Bugger - looks like the G3 iMacs weren't supported -

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html

After some googling, it looks like the G3 iMacs are out of luck for spanning using the built in VGA port (if you have one).