Setting Up Dual NVIDA 7300 GT Video Cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ClintRudisill, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ClintRudisill macrumors newbie

I want to install a second video card that is bridged to the existing NVIDA GenForce 7300 GT in a manner that all 4 displays work in sync together like they currently do with the 2 I have installed. I am currently running 2-24" Samsung Displays at 1920X1200. I have been told that I must use another identical NVIDA card and it must be the OEM version, not the Retail versions. My mac pro version is designated 1,1 and I'm running 10.5.2. I'd really like to boost the 2nd Card to one w/ more features memory. Any suggestions?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I think you've got some conflicting information there. These are the four easiest solutions:

• Another 7300GT which will probably be need to be found on eBay or the marketplace here.
    • A Radeon 2600XT can be bought new from Apple for $130 or from the above sources.
    • Buy the 8800GT (for 1st Gen) from Apple. This will give you more 3D power on the displays you connect it to and if you plan on using windows I'd go for that.
    • The Mac & PC Radeon HD 3870 can be bought for $218 from www.macsales.com and will give the same sort of power as the 8800GT but there may be issues with windows Vista due to having cards from two companies and the way in which it loads video drivers (same for the 2600XT).

Look under the displays section on the Apple store for what they sell. Any card needs to be a Mac one, but if you post a link to something you are considering someone will confirm if it is ok for you.