setting up email using Google/Yahoo vs selecting Microsfot Exchange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by halfmonkey, Oct 27, 2011.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I have both a Google and Yahoo acct and I'm trying to set up both accts on my 4s. When I go to add both accts in the setting screen, I see that there are dedicated buttons for each acct but I've been doing some searching and Google has instructions that actually say to select the Micosoft Exchange option instead of using the dedicated Google option. Can some explain to me why I would choose Micorsoft Exchnage vs actually selecting the already dedicated Google or Yahoo option?

I primarily use Yahoo and I'm interested in syncing Yahoo contacts, emails, and calendar on my 4s but not sure why one would choose the Microsoft Exchange option over the dedicated Yahoo option.

I currently have it added by using the dedicated Yahoo option but something doesn't seem to be right or I'm missing something. The emails seems to be working fine but I don't think my calendar and contacts are syncing properly. If I add an event on the calendar on my 4s, it doesn't show up on the calendar when I view it through my Yahoo acct after logging in. Also, the contact list on my phone is a little different than the contact list on my Yahoo acct. I do have the Default Account under the Contact setting listed as Yahoo. Please help.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Using the Exchange setup for Google Gmail gives you push email, using the dedicated setup choice gives you fetch.

3. pressplay macrumors newbie

^ that. I've been tinkering with this for a while too. If you like to star e-mails, the Gmail account does this better than Exchange.