Setting up external HD to as bootable osx Leopard and back up for Leopard and Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coopdevillan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. coopdevillan macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 1 TB external HD to put mainly media pics,music,movies etc. onto. I now have my original 200 GB external to use as a back up drive. I would like to use this drive to back up both my mac and my pc. I wolud like to partition this 200 GB drive and manually back up my pc to it, then I would like to be able to have a bootable copy of my Leopard on it while letting time machine do its regular back ups. Can someone please help me configure this. I have a mac book pro intel running Leopard.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

My guess is create 3 partitions. Two HFS+, one NTFS (FAT32 if you want to use the Windows partition with the Mac). Then use one HFS+ partition to install a copy of Leopard, the other will be your Time Machine backup drive, and the NTFS partition will be your Windows backup. The reason I suggest two HFS+ partitions is that you probably wouldn't want to be backing up using Time Machine onto your bootable partition (though technically you can).

3. coopdevillan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks on reply

What would be the reason I wouldn't want to back up Time Machine to my bootable partition ?

4. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I thought you had to have firewire to make a bootable drive on OSX. Did they change that with the Intel systems?

5. coopdevillan thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Needed

No I installed my Leopard through a 2.0 connection.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can use usb 2.0 drives

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

I guess there'd be really no need to. Like I said, technically you can use the same partition for your bootable partition and Time Machine backups. I would just rather keep them separate. Say you needed to wipe one or the other for whatever reason. If they are two distinct partitions, it makes things a lot easier. Just make the bootable partition the minimum size required to install OS X and you should be fine (ie, no extra space is lost due to it not being used on that partition). I doubt you'd be wanting to install any programs on the bootable drive anyway (assuming it's for troubleshooting purposes only).

8. coopdevillan thread starter macrumors newbie

Taken

I would agree thank you for your reply : )

9. coopdevillan thread starter macrumors newbie

Half way there

Oooook so I partitioned my 200 GB into 3 sections, 4 if you count the small
    "free" space partition. I used "ipartition" and broke it down into a 115 GB partition for Time Machine, a 8.55 partition for a boot of osx 10.5, and a remaining partition for Vista in NTSF format. Now the two osx partitions are cool but when I plug the Vista one in my PC does not read it. Can some one throw a theory my way ?:apple: