Setting Up Extreme with Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hrothgar, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I've been using an Express as my router for about 2 years. I just bought an Extreme. Setting up the Extreme was not particularly easy -- I don't understand people who claim that Apple devices are just plugged in. I frankly think I had easier times setting up PC peripherals. But after unplugging the modem a few times, the Extreme and restarting my computer, I go the Extreme going and I'm pretty sure I switched it to be the base station for my Network.

Then I plugged the Express in again. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to add it to the Network so I can use it to stream my iTunes. When I open Airport Utilities, it recognizes the Extreme immediately, but takes a few minutes to locate the Express (which is still plugged in with a flashing amber light). I get "icons" of each on the left. If I highlight the Express, it seems to think I want to change the Express to be my main base station. I don't see any options for networking the two together or adding the Express to the Network I've already got. I tried googling, but the one Apple support article I found was a few years old and didn't seem to correspond to my version of the Utility.

Can someone help me?

2. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone? I really thought this would be an easy, common setup. I thought my Apple computer would recognize a new Apple device and simply ask what I wanted to do with it.

I did a factory reset on the Express, and now when I use Airport Utility it sees two Expresses. How do I know which one is mine and which may be my neighbor's?

And if I highlight one of them and click "continue" to set it up, I get the following warning: "Setting up this Apple wireless device requires switching wireless networks. Switching wireless networks may interrupt your connection to the Internet." I don't want to switch my network. I just want to add an Express to my network.

Never trust a man with a mock turtleneck.

3. marcre macrumors regular

marcre

hey, when I got my Time Capsule I had a little trouble too. If one of the products are new, just call apple care and have them walk you through it. That's what I did and I was all set up in a few minutes.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you need to plug an ethernet cable into the express or switch to it's network.

If you are not on the same network, how can you talk to it to set it up?
    Both of the these options are temporary for the duration of the setup process.

If you don't know which is yours, unplug it and see which one disappears from the list, or turn off the wireless on your computer and plug in an ethernet cable.

5. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Waw. I didn't know I had to hardwire the Express. I assumed that the two devices would interact wirelessly as if there was a cable between them.

I'll try this tonight.

6. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't have a cable. After setting up the Extreme as my base station, I located the Express in Airport Utilities. I went to set it up, and switched to its network. I now have the Express as my base station? Although my cable modem is plugged into my Extreme? It is all working, so maybe I should just be happy.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's very easy for most people.

It comes with support, call Apple Care.

8. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

I suspect that's true. Yet the "instruction booklet" says nothing more than load the software and plug in the machine. It also says, "go to the Airport Utility." Clearly, that is not enough. I don't understand why Apple seems to think it's unnecessary to tell people how to set up their products -- unless they just don't want to admit that their products are every bit as cumbersome to set up as PC stuff. I thought I was pretty intuitive about setting these things up, but alas, now I sound like my father.

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

switch to the express network
    set up the express to join your main network
    when express is rebooting on new settings, switch your computer back to main network.

10. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I've got everything working: my cable modem is plugged into the Extreme and I've got Internet on my computer (although not as fast as I'd expected, but I guess the Internet experience is ultimately limited by the server I'm pulling from and my building's cable traffic?). And my itunes are streaming through my Express.

Perhaps I should leave well-enough alone.

However, my Express is listed as the "Base Station", whereas I thought the Extreme should be my base station. Not sure if this matters.

Thanks again for advice.