Setting up free wifi downtown?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Jun 20, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have been thinking about this for a while, yet I don't know how to get started. I really want to set up free wifi in the downtown area of where I live. It would pretty much just be a few square miles with no buildings taller than 2 stories.

The reason for it is because the only area where there is free wifi is in a smoke shop, not the best place to browse the net. And all of the other areas are pay to use.

Now my question is, what would I have to do to get the sponsorships and start up money to begin my project? Would I have to get a permit? It just really feel like paying back to my community.

Suggestions?:)

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ohh...I don't even know were to start that...it would be a HUGE undertaking. Who would pay for it(start up costs? and monthly fees?)...plus you'd need lots of routers, as noone router is strong enough to power all that area

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

A few square miles? The startup costs for such a WiFi network will be very high, and it definitely won't be low maintenance. ...You'll need some very powerful (and expensive) equipment to support such a large area. Plus, you'll also need to figure out how to place the APs throughout the downtown area.

And you will need to talk with your ISP to set up a proper account (which will be much more expensive than any standard account).

Do you have any experience in creating and maintaining very large networks?

4. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I suppose I could start small, maybe only the main street and a few on the side. I most I have set up is a network around the house, which consists of 3 wireless routers, a switch, and sometimes up to 6 computers.

But what I really want to do is propose the idea and get sponsorships from local businesses. Maybe if I put the router their shops, and the people using the wifi would get little adverts from that certain shop on sales or deals they are having at the moment.

5. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Maybe you should ask local businesses if they can set up free wifi hotspots on their own. You could see if an ISP is willing to sponsor it. I know that my ISP provides some kind of sponsorship for businesses that set up hotspots with the ISP's name mentioned.