Setting up gmail to push - Problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Make Donuts, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Make Donuts macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2010
    I've set up my gmail aswell Hotmail , after finishing the set-ups, I looked at the advanced settings of "fetch new data" and notice that only Hotmail is set-up for "push" and gmail is set-up for "fetch", fetch and manually are the only options available. Could somebody please give me a hand on how to convert to push on gmail.

On my IP4, I remember following googles instructions on how to set up gmail manually but the input settings on IP5 are a bit different and well I'm kinda lost. :confused:
  2. MiLK© macrumors member

Sep 12, 2007
    Try setting up as an "Exchange" account, and you should get push

Email - full email
    Domain -
    Username - the bit before @ on your email
    Password - normal pw
    Use SSL - On

That should get you going...
  3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

Feb 16, 2012
  4. snowydog macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2011
    I tried this and mine isn't pushing still?

I need it for work tomorrow, have no idea how to fix it...

Ill read up on how to use IMAP
  5. snowydog macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2011
    Just tried it there, this didn't work either :confused:

I should add that, unlike the OP, I DO have the option for push when I set mine up, but it isn't working :confused:
  6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Dec 24, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Domain leave blank. After you hit verify a server box will appear. Enter in there instead.
  7. Make Donuts thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2010
    Thank you for your help - It worked! :D
  8. danielceleste macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2012
    I've done it that way as long as I can remember, and it works on my iPad with the *exact same settings*. My iPhone does not receive pushed mail at all, so I've been looking at that new pull-to-refresh animation a lot more than I originally expected.