Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaplaninternational

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2016
Hi guys, I am a pure Mac user.

iMac / Macbook Pro and of course iPhone.

-

We have a TV and before I used to use a WDTV I connected to the TV, with a USB attached to it - to watch downloaded material of my own on the TV. I want to upgrade the home system to watch downloaded material but do not know what to do.

It is a Smart TV - Samsung.

I was going to Purchase a NAS drive and stream content from NAS to the TV.

The other option was to buy the new APPLE TV model and I guess I can mirror from my Macbook Pro to my TV if I did that.

Or I was also looking at the Airport Extreme but do not know what that will actually do in allowing this.

-

So the idea is basically, content on my iMac - like videos mainly and pics too, I want to get it onto the TV as easily as possible.

Any suggestions how to do this as Mac user?
[doublepost=1461070675][/doublepost]Forgot to add, as an alternative to Apple TV - I was thinking of getting a ROKU 2 as I read a lot of good reviews and it has the USB port to it.

I just wanted to know if people here recommend a better investment like a NAS drive.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well get the Apple TV if you have some iTunes movies you want to see on your TV!

Now if you gaming as well a streaming box then look at the NVidia Shield.

You just have to remember having all your digital media on ONE drive! That's why NAS devices are becoming popular in the home.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
A qnap nas running plex server then the new atv with the plex app. It's a perfect low power combo.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
So the idea is basically, content on my iMac - like videos mainly and pics too, I want to get it onto the TV as easily as possible.

Any suggestions how to do this as Mac user?

I just wanted to know if people here recommend a better investment like a NAS drive.

A NAS drive involves copying and pasting at sometimes painfully slow rates (depending on the network and NAS). Likewise, it may not be fast enough to stream all your content.

I would go Apple TV. You get so much for your money. Airplay works well saves copying all the time. You could also use Plex on the Apple TV to catalogue and stream content from your Mac, or another app, Infuse, if you prefer.

You can also use iMovie Theatre to play your own content from the cloud and Family Sharing to play content from your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.