Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
So I have my Hotmail account set up on my iPhone with outlook exchange. I can't get it to work on the new Mail 5.0 though? I am using the server m.hotmail.com just like on my phone but it will not connect. Anyone get this to work?

rickhorn

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2010
Go to Mail -> Preference -> Accounts -> click button-right "+" and enter your hotmail username and password. The Mail will automatically search for the appropriate settings for you if you are on the internet. My hotmail works fine here on the Mail 5.0

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Go to Mail -> Preference -> Accounts -> click button-right "+" and enter your hotmail username and password. The Mail will automatically search for the appropriate settings for you if you are on the internet. My hotmail works fine here on the Mail 5.0

But did it set it up as an exchange active sync account or pop?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
But did it set it up as an exchange active sync account or pop?

Microsoft only allows Exchange Activesync access through mobile devices (or Windows native clients like Windows Live Mail). That's why it works on iPhone but not Mail.app.

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
So I have my Hotmail account set up on my iPhone with outlook exchange. I can't get it to work on the new Mail 5.0 though? I am using the server m.hotmail.com just like on my phone but it will not connect. Anyone get this to work?

The m in m.hotmail.com is for mobile so no joy. You could try fluent factory's mbox for mac but it's not free and I can't get the key to register under Lion.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Yes exchange is only allowed on mobile devices- Damn Hotmail! I switched to GMail and use their "fetch" service to ease the transition.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Great thanks for all the help guys!

That sucks I was looking forward to going back to Mail and having both of my Mail accounts like I do on my phone. I guess I'll be sticking to Sparrow and Gmail only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.