Setting up Hotmail with Mail Exchange

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bigjnyc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

So I have my Hotmail account set up on my iPhone with outlook exchange. I can't get it to work on the new Mail 5.0 though? I am using the server m.hotmail.com just like on my phone but it will not connect. Anyone get this to work?

2. rickhorn macrumors member

rickhorn

Go to Mail -> Preference -> Accounts -> click button-right "+" and enter your hotmail username and password. The Mail will automatically search for the appropriate settings for you if you are on the internet. My hotmail works fine here on the Mail 5.0

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 603

bigjnyc

But did it set it up as an exchange active sync account or pop?

4. rickhorn macrumors member

rickhorn

oops, it set up as pop...not exchange...sorry didn't help

5. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Microsoft only allows Exchange Activesync access through mobile devices (or Windows native clients like Windows Live Mail). That's why it works on iPhone but not Mail.app.

6. bobbba macrumors regular

The m in m.hotmail.com is for mobile so no joy. You could try fluent factory's mbox for mac but it's not free and I can't get the key to register under Lion.

7. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

mmm I'm having the same issue - I was hoping I could add hotmail like on my iPhone :(

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes exchange is only allowed on mobile devices- Damn Hotmail! I switched to GMail and use their "fetch" service to ease the transition.

9. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Great thanks for all the help guys!

That sucks I was looking forward to going back to Mail and having both of my Mail accounts like I do on my phone. I guess I'll be sticking to Sparrow and Gmail only.