setting up imac network in different offices

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattromac, May 1, 2013.

1. mattromac macrumors newbie

Hi All

I have recently bought a second mac as my home machine and also have an office in the garden with my work mac. Each have an internet connection running from different telephone lines. The reason for keeping both lines is our access is very slow and don't want to limit download speed by networking and only having one internet line.

I want to connect both macs, and ancillaries, for the purposes of networking and also install back up drive in the opposite location to the position each mac is in. For example I want to locate the backup for the house mac in the office in the garden and visa verser.

My question is how do I connect both to one network if they are both fed with different internet connections. will having two internet connection cause a problem?

My house system is:
    mac
    airport extreme
    apple TV
    and airport express to feed music system

My office system is:
    mac
    BT router

Hope that is enough detail and thanks for any replies in advance :)

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Don't see the problem, provided theyre on the same subnet and can you assign each router its own gateway IP and assign each mac accordingly.

3. CH12671 macrumors 6502

If all else fails, then buy a TB>Ethernet adapter for each mac (assuming they have TB, you didn't mention their age) and network them on separate networks from your internet connections. Or, if you are pulling your internet through the wi-fi, then you don't need a separate adapter....just network the two computers together using the built in NIC. Your computers can be on two separate networks....one for the internet, and one for "each other."

4. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Just make sure only one device is providing DHCP assignment to the network and even then limit the range so you can give the second router, and maybe most of the fixed items and base stations, a fixed IP.

In the office we have a similar set-up with the links connected to load balance, but techie people did that part so don't ask me know.