Setting up InDesign Template...

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Nicolecat, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Does anyone know of a link for a "How To"
    on how to set up a USPS approved postcard with a bleed?

It would be a solo mail piece.
    I just don't want to get the measurements wrong, and have the post office tell me to redo it. :|

Thanks in advance. :eek:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Bleed is usually 1/8" in the US. Set that when you create a new document in InDesign. Once you've then got your guides, master page and any style sheets sorted out, save the document as an InDesign template under the save as dialogue.

The only difference between a template and a document is that you can't save over a template. When you have a template open and work with it, adding new material and then save it, it asks you to give it a new name for a new file. Try it with a blank page to see how InDesign treats the two kinds of files.

3. efxgraphx macrumors member

This might help as well.....

http://www.overnightprints.com/main.php?A=USPS

Google is your best friend =)

4. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah, I've googled tons of different stuff...and I can't seem to get basic measurements that compare.

There are just so many. I didn't know if there was more of a standard, or if the min/max are sufficient....

thanks for the replys. :D

5. pixproff macrumors newbie

If you are still not sure, take a sample of your card to the post office. They can check it and see if it meets the requirements for mailing. Should not cost you anything for them to do this.